I think my mead's stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkeyfoot Jr.

Reaction score
I made a 5G batch of mead back in mid-February, the recipe's below. Initial fermentation was fairly rapid, nothing as robust as beer but steady. A couple weeks back, after about 3 months in the primary, I racked it to a secondary and now it appears as though my fermentation has halted. I just watched the airlock for a couple minutes and I can't see any activity. There's some sediment in the secondary and I noticed when I racked it that it was very bubbly. I tasted it at that time as well and it wasn't good by any stretch. No off flavors just very sweet still. One other change is that when I racked it I moved it from our upstairs which with summer was starting to get into the 80's to our basement which is pretty consistently right around 70. What can I do to resurrect the fermentation or is it done for?

Traditional Mead
17lb. Honey
2.5t Acid Blend
5t Yeast Nutrient
1 packet Montrachet Dry Wine Yeast (This was the recommended yeast from my LHBS)

My OG was 1.120 and my gravity at racking was 1.060.

I use a similar recipe and mine finishes the major ferm at about 3 months. But it is extremely slow the last month. Check the carboy and see if any tiny bubbles are appearing. I was down to about bubble every 15 to 25 minutes but still had tiny bubbles. If no bubbles what so ever then it is stuck.

How clear is it? Montrachet has some issues with high sugar levels and I would not use it with a mead. Montrachet is also a quick fermenter. Since you should of had plenty of nutrient that should not be the issue. I would get a pack of Lalvin EC-1118 yeast pitch it in 1 cup of water and about a cup of your must. Let this sit for a few hours covered with a towel. It should start multiplying and give the must the kick start it needs.

Lalvin EC-1118 has a great temp range, around 40 to 95 degrees, so it will do well in either place. Also it will get to the 18% abv range.

Hope this works for you!:)

I will have to double check when I get home but I'm 99% sure there are no bubbles along the top edge of the must. I remember seeing those when it was in the primary.

It's not clear at all, a sort of dingy orange I guess you could say.

I just checked my LHBS's site and I'm in luck, they carry Lalvin EC-1118. I'll swing in there and pick up some of that and try your kick start. I hope that works. I spent a lot of money on that honey and I'd hate to have to pitch it.

I don't start with that high of a honey content and don't use the acid blend. But I use 3 packs of yeast to start off! I know, I catch some flack for this but I don't boil and I want the amount of yeast to be way high as soon as I pitch it so it will destroy any of those baddies quick. Then at the first three rackings I add 1.5lbs of honey to each. It still comes out to be the 17lbs but I don't over power the yeast with the sugar content.

I stablized my Mead this weekend but didn't get a chance to bottle on Sunday. 3 months and it is done!! It was semi-dry, crystal clear and my wife loved it, me too! I like to age it at least three months in the bottle but it is great right then. I only got 2 additions of honey this time.

Did the acid give it a bite?? I don't use acid and was wondering what flavor it gave. I believe you will be fine, just check in the morning before you leave for work and I think you will see a large amount of activity!

Soory to hijack, but did any of your meads have a white-ish foam on top?

I have a little white foam/bubbles around the edges. I think its vinegar forming, but I only have about 1-1.5" of air space between the mead and the airlock.

In my primay I did see a white foam/bubbles on top of the must. I'm picking up the EC-1118 that mgayer recommended tonight so I'll let you know if I see that show up again once fermentation kicks off once more.

mizzoueng said:
Soory to hijack, but did any of your meads have a white-ish foam on top?

I have a little white foam/bubbles around the edges. I think its vinegar forming, but I only have about 1-1.5" of air space between the mead and the airlock.

Relax, its quite common/normal. Its a sign of fermentation.

I don't know what kind of mead you made but most Meads reach the slow stage fermentation where it will only buble like a glass of sparkling wine. With my Meads this is about all I got for the last month or so before fermentation was finished. Use a wine theif and take a small sample check the nose and taste. Nursenan is right, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Roterdrache, hope it kicks it into gear. If you have a paddle or degasser I would try to stir very slowly before you put in the new yeast. The suspended CO2 may release very rapidly with stuck fermentations. Let me know how it goes!!:mug:

Last night I picked up the Lalvin EC-1118 and mixed it with a cup of water plus a cup of must. Let that sit, covered, on my counter for a couple hours and sure enough it developed a nice little head of bubbles. Swirled that to get the yeast in suspension and then poured the whole thing into my must. That was a little over 24 hours ago and still no activity. Is this too soon to expect anything or is something wrong?

Remember that the yeast is shocked the first 24. I have seen it take a bit as it is multiplying. If your temp is in the 70 degree range it will start working within the 48 hour range.

I would guess the color changed a bit! It should have gotten a bit more milky and it will be a bit slower to build but it will.

You may want to check your PH if it doenst restart. You can add 5 grams of pottasium carbonate or bicarbonate if the PH is out of range and it may start back up. I have read that PH is a major factor in stuck fermentations and have learned through group brews that it will resurrect many stuck fermentations if the PH is out of the yeast friendly range.

I'm not giving up on it yet but there's still zero activity and I'm at 52 hours or so since I pitched the new yeast. I need to swing by my LHBS tomorrow morning for a few other items so I'll see what they have in the way of testing Ph.

I think it would be a good idea, I strongly suspect that your PH is out of the sweet spot for mead. From what I've read and learned from others is that healthy must range from 3.2 - 4.0 on the PH scale if thats any help to you. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Another thing, make sure that if you buy the PH paper strips they are still in date as they tend to give faulty reading when out of date.

I believe Redhawke is right. Since your yeast was active with the cup of water and a cup of must this points to the PH imbalance. I looked at your recipe again and saw you added the acid blend. I should have noticed that before. Let us know what your PH is and what you added to the mix, I would bet to bring down the PH! Don't give up on on it! :p

I ended up not having to go to my LHBS Saturday so no Ph test as of yet. However, activity has picked up. The airlock hasn't bubbled yet that I've seen but I have numerous bubbles around the edge of the must and several bubbles across the surface. Hopefully she'll pick up! I still plan on doing the Ph test when I get a chance.

Keep in mind that you will be raising the PH by adding pottasium carbonate or bicarbonate so only add about 5 grams and see what happens. Be sure to mix it in well, really stir it in, this should help resuspend the yeast throughout your must.

Back