Show us your Top Tier configuration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I finally got to pop the cherry on my Top Tier today while brewing up a batch of Jamil's Evil Twin, so I figured I'd take some pics to show how I set it up, and the modifications I made.

Went with a standard two-tier set up, two burners at the moment as I plan to go with a direct fire mash tun at some point. It was a real pleasure to use, before I had things sitting on my workbench, the floor, and other random places while brewing. Using an actual brew stand allowed me to stay somewhat organized, relatively speaking :D

7282313888_0d726e2962_b.jpg

I put in a covered dual outlet and switch with conduit between them. The switch powers the pump which is hardwired in, while the outlet is continuously powered.

7282320904_04880ca81a_b.jpg

I added a coat of bronze paint to the manifold for the bling factor and I also ran the stainless gas lines behind the legs for a cleaner look.

7282317436_0f07d1afd5_b.jpg

Close-up of the switch

7282326590_fff4fab521_b.jpg

For whatever reason, I shelled out a bunch of money for the setup and then got cheap at the end and didn't want to pay $30 for the pump mount. So I made my own with a $9 stick of aluminum angle, and some aluminum sheet I already had on hand.

7282324770_e0c55ecf6e_b.jpg

Heating just over 9 gallons of strike water

7282331796_bab6865f7a_b.jpg

I added a curved piece of aluminum sheet over the top so I can hang my hoses. Just need to add a stop to the front an back so they don't slide off

7282333854_1a8f8b0d40_b.jpg

High quality sparge set up

7282357284_b8674012ff_b.jpg

Sparging, need to make a couple shorter hoses for the pump to kettle run.

7282359364_fdc66cbd96_b.jpg

Finally, enjoying a Spaten Dunkel while cleaning up

7282364186_6ac4099c23_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Fantastic post Markd. Great detail/description and great photos. Our toptier's are almost identical. Brewed on mine for the 3rd time yesterday. Did a vanilla porter.
Sitting down enjoying an IPA as I read your post.

Cheers

image-1825332502.jpg

Who has piped a water line to fill top tier and maybe middle tier? Curious to see how you attached it and how you dealt with the height. To fill the top tier, you would need any pipe to extend higher than the stand. Not ideal to leave it like that. Like to see how someone dealt with this.

This is a little bit of an older thread, but this thread gave me so many great ideas for my Top Tier build. I figured I had to post my set up.

Thanks to all that posted for your help

I haven't brewed on it yet, just made up the hoses last night:

2nd image is the Outdoor box with a GFCI outlet installed.
3rd image is the outdoor switch and conduit that controls the pump that is hardwired in the lower box.
4th image is the Rattle-canned gas manifold and I used wing nuts to attach the plate chiller for easy removal / cleaning / Sanitizing

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

I need to get inspired here and hook up a dedicated GFCI. I have a cheapo home depot GFCI extension cord that just happens to give me a nice little buzz at the end of every brewday. It's getting to be annoying.

How are you guys mounting your electric to the mast?

One side question for you folks, have you noticed any surface rusting on your gas pipe and if so how do you mitigate it?

How are you guys mounting your electric to the mast?

One side question for you folks, have you noticed any surface rusting on your gas pipe and if so how do you mitigate it?

I mounted my boxes to the mast using the T-Slot and square nuts, but used Nylon blots in case a wire comes loose in any of the boxes, nothing will get transmitted to the mast.

As for the black pipe, that is part of the reason I spray painted mine with rustoleum.

I need to post my pictures. I had no idea this thread existed. I have a three burner set up which I bought over the summer. I just ordered the Tower of Power which should be here on Friday. I will take pictures of the whole rig and post them.

Great thread! Just received a TT as a birthday gift from swmbo and our newborn (been eyeballing for years) ha. Started building it this past weekend on brew day... Need to order burners still and install some of the great ideas posted. Will get some pics up soon as well.

Great thread! Just received a TT as a birthday gift from swmbo and our newborn (been eyeballing for years) ha. Started building it this past weekend on brew day... Need to order burners still and install some of the great ideas posted. Will get some pics up soon as well.

Hey Doug,

You are right up 202/206 from me... I'm in hillsborough.

Good luck putting together your stand. One piece of advice I can give you, this is what I did....

Instead of mounting the arms to the burners and shelves then playing with tier heights and making gas manifold. I just used the Support arms. Just put the arms on the mast, figure out where you want everything, move them around (SOOO Much easier than when the burners and shelves are attached). Then figure out the gas manifold position, build the manifold. Then finally remove the arms and put the burners/Shelves together confident that you have your tiers layouts properly

Also, another setup tip to keep in mind...

There will be a point when you're arranging everything and you look at the stand and say "crap I really wish I mounted the pump under that bottom most burner".

Well, it actually isn't that hard to lay the stand down on its site and take one of the legs off and slide something small on bottom-up. I think people tend to see the stand upright and think how they need to pull every layer off, but all you've got to do is lay it down and work bottom-up in some cases.

Also, if you're using a pump and mounting it at the lowest point, it will only work on four of the 8 corners due to the offset orientation of the legs running right into the input of a standard march pump head.

Thanks for the tips guys! All things I'd likely cursing at myself about, after the fact. :-D

I just ordered my burners, pump mount and utility shelf this evening. Looking forward to picking it all up (@ love2brew) and get brewing on the stand. Just hope the cold weather stays away.

Mmm... Tower of power. Very nice!

Here's my TopTier setup. It's all gravity fed at the moment. I've had it right at a year and brewed 10 times on it. I really like the TopTier! I have a fired HLT and BK with a 10 gallon cooler mash tun. To fill my HLT, I use a RV hose to send water through the filter. It works great and I don't have to climb up a ladder with a bucket full of water.

@bhaff, I would add a fired HLT and get a converted keg / kettle. You can use the 'spare' shelf as a big utility shelf or sell it on the HBT classified section. I use a cooler as a mash tun and have not had any issues in holding my temps over the rest period. Be sure to get a sightglass / thermo combo from brewershardware.com.

Eric

How are you gravity feeding from your tun ? It looks too low. I ask because I am also using gravity and my HLT is pretty high up on the stand and would like it a little lower.

just added some automation. Controllers for the HLT, MLT, and Pump.

I'd love to see a write up on your automation. I'm interested in automating my MT burner and possibly the HLT.

Your panel looks awesome, please share.

3 burners (heat strike water in mlt while heating hlt)
3 20-gal Boilermakers
SS HERMS coil in hlt
AutoSparge
Chugger pump
Therminator
SS hop spider
Belkin Conserve wireless switch power strip

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

What is the brand of cooler on your top shelf? Presumably it is your HLT, although I don't see any tubing running from it to the mash tun. Reason for my curiosity: I am looking for a cooler which fits on the 16x16 shelf, but has 15-gallon HLT capacity. That's about 115 pounds of water, and I believe the shelf has a limit of about 125 lbs. Anybody think I'd be cutting it too close?

Just received my Top Tier Stand with Tower of Power assembly. I already own a Therminator. Question: is there an already made mount for the Therminator for the Top Tier Stand?

Thanks to everyone that has posted pics of their Top Tier. It is interesting to see how others have theirs setup.

I have a question though, how many tubes and what lengths are you using?

I'm trying to figure out how much I need to order along with all the camlocks I need. I have 3 burners with pump, therminator and kettles all have ball valves. I was thinking I needed another valve for the pump and:
- 25 feet of 1/2" hose
- 7 male connectors (3 pots, 2 therminator and 2 pump)
- 3 females with 90* streets for hoses to make 3 hoses (BK to MLT, MLT to pump and pump to BK. Then BK to pump, pump to therminator and therminator to whirlpool/fermenter)
- tee, valve, male and female camlock to use for prime pump and then also use to backflush therminator (with garden hose attachement)

Would like to recirculate wort through the BK, but that is for next year as SWMBO let me get this period and kettles this year!!

Is 25 foot of hose enough? Or should I get more? Does it sound like I have enough fittings?

Also, what do you guys use (if any) as a shutoff for garden hose inlet (and outlet to limit flow) close to your stand? Mine will be 75' from the outlet at the house.

And if I forgot anything please let me know!

Latest posts

Back