lautering flow rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollisBrewCo

Reaction score
Almost up and running on my new single trier system and I was looking to monitor/ control the flow rate out of my MLT. I was able to find a reasonably priced flow rate monitor ($84) however its only rated to 150*. What methods do you guys use to control your flow rate other than the crack the valve and measure/ time your runnings.( I always seem to have trouble hitting my Target rate like this)

are you fly sparging or something? if so i can't add much because I only batch sparge, so my 'flow rate' doesn't matter. fast as I can get without bits of grain/husk slipping through my SS braid.

Sorry I should have mentioned. Yes i am fly sparking, I have a blichmann mash tun and spare arm so if i can control my flow out I will be controlling my flow in. I was wondering if anyone in HBT land had any clever ideas for controlling my lautering rate.

Are you looking to 'control' or 'measure' the rate?
I measure my rate of fly sparging and then manually adjust the outlet valve to control it.

The scale measures weight and transmits this to the RS232 port of my pc where I wrote a VB app to convert this to weight/time => flow rate.

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

Back