missing my OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewhoner

Reaction score
quick question, so I didn't scour the forum for this asked previously....

but, we added 2 gallons of water to our wort after boiling (all DME late extract addition) and our calculated OG was 1.080. I fell short considerbly, but I simply took a sample off the top after pouring water on top.

Could my missed gravity simply be because I did not mix the wort and water?

Just wondering.

thats possible. did you adjust the reading for the temp of the wart? did you make a batch size that was more than the recipe? ie. made a 5.25 gallon instead of a 5 gallon.

Not mixing the wort well enough after adding top off water is the most common reason the OG will be different when doing extract batches. With extract your OG will basically be the projected OG from your kit.

If you didn't mix the water with the wort, then you got a highly diluted sample.

You're probably fine. Sounds like extract brewing - and the only way to "miss" that much is to do one of a very few number of things:

1) batch size. either too much water (low gravity) or too little water (high gravity)
2) improper mixing (see above)
3) missing ingredients in the brew kettle - you forgot a pound or two of extract

thats possible. did you adjust the reading for the temp of the wart? did you make a batch size that was more than the recipe? ie. made a 5.25 gallon instead of a 5 gallon.

from what I gather, it doesn't make a .02 difference for a few degrees. corrrect me if I am wrong.

If you didn't mix the water with the wort, then you got a highly diluted sample.

You're probably fine. Sounds like extract brewing - and the only way to "miss" that much is to do one of a very few number of things:

1) batch size. either too much water (low gravity) or too little water (high gravity)
2) improper mixing (see above)
3) missing ingredients in the brew kettle - you forgot a pound or two of extract
I am thinking the improper mixing. we poured 1 gallon of water in at first, wort, then another gallon, then dove in with a sanitized glass for a sample. We didn't shake it or stir it before getting the sample. this is starting to make me wonder if it is causing an off flavor in the beers.

I guess I'll just have to brew another beer. what a pity.... :rockin:

I am thinking the improper mixing. we poured 1 gallon of water in at first, wort, then another gallon, then dove in with a sanitized glass for a sample. We didn't shake it or stir it before getting the sample. this is starting to make me wonder if it is causing an off flavor in the beers.

I guess I'll just have to brew another beer. what a pity.... :rockin:

Don't worry about the off-flavors. It will all work itself out. The beer oompa loompas (i.e. yeast) are hard at work and will do the mixing for you.

Back