Fermtation chamber using Car minifridge ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maho

Reaction score
I am looking into building a fermentation chamber.

I only need room for 1 carboy or BB, and have the temperature controller already (Ranco). I need it for fermenting lagers so 50-55 degrees would be perfect.

I was wondering if something like this could do the job:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000096P8R/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Obviously I would need to build an insulated chamber around it big enough for the carboy, but can it cool enough to keep up with the fermentation.

Has anybody tried this?

Thanks
Hommel Homebrew

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking into building a fermentation chamber.

I only need room for 1 carboy or BB, and have the temperature controller already (Ranco). I need it for fermenting lagers so 50-55 degrees would be perfect.

I was wondering if something like this could do the job:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000096P8R/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Obviously I would need to build an insulated chamber around it big enough for the carboy, but can it cool enough to keep up with the fermentation.

Has anybody tried this?

Thanks
Hommel Homebrew

I have the same frig with a different handle found at Salvation Army for $3.50 without the power supply. They have a peltier with a fan and cool only what's inside the frig and nothing else. Too small don't try to expand the capacity of this cooling chamber. Power rating 4 amps 12 volts. I also found a brand new Waring Pro Professional Wine Chiller for $5 with warranty card there, also missing a power supply. Called Waring and they shipped one free. The wine chiller draws 5 amps the power supply fits the mini frig also. Wine chiller drops down to 37 degrees with 31 programed temp settings. Bottom line save your money and buy a mini frig hell I picked up 5 of 'em as curbside finds that all work, they would be better as there is a compressor below with more cooling capacity for your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back