It's Saturday, who is brewing?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snowed in and im a noob so decided to fight the weather hit up my LHBS maltose express this mornin buy a clone kit for stovepipe porter, picked up a case of flying dog, and brewing and drinking now as we speak.
Snowed in? It's a little bit of snow. :drunk:
I will give you a break because you are brewing and you visited Maltose. That new location they have is so much nicer. About four times the size of the last one.

I am brewing the Black Pearl Porter Extract conversion that Bobby helped me with.

The weather was seriously iffy for me here today. TWC said sunny till 2 then t-showers. I was getting rained on off and on during the mash and sparge, then I checked the radar and timed the boil perfectly between cells. I made up for it with efficiency. Volume finally turned out perfect too.

Well today was my first ever brew day... I think it went off pretty much without a hitch, only thing I should have done was left my wort chiller in another 5 minutes or so. I brewed a full-boil Irish Red Ale extract kit from Northernbrewer. When I transferred to my primary the fermometer was reading 76F, the closet that I'm storing the fermenter in is around 72F so I'm holding the fermenter in a cooler with water chilled by frozen water bottles. I tried to put it in the spare bedroom closet (much cooler, usually around 66 in there) but SWMBO threw a fit, didn't want her clothes to start stinking (clothes that are in that closet b/c she NEVER wears them). I told her they wouldn't stink, afterall beer smells good, but she didn't buy it. Oh well. Now I'm planning my next brew, will be brewing again next weekend.

Tonight, we will be trying a American Ale with some steeping grains. first time with grains so we are in new teratory. My 11 year old daughter is taking an interest in brewing so i will have some help tonight. Good times.

I brewed last weekend and have 15 gallons fermenting right now. The fermentation freezer is full and I have 15 gallons of Wounded Knee Dry Hopping with suspended sacks. I'll be removing the hops tomorrow and putting them in the keezer to chill and carb. They should be ready by the time I get back from ice fishing next week.

The brew I'm drinking right now was dry hopped with an ounce of Cascades suspended in a nylon bag (paint strainer) for 13 days with no apparent flavor or aroma resulting. Did I use a bag that is too fine? Obviously it works for you... so what have I done wrong?

I brewed a nice batch of Munich Helles and watched a 10 gallon clone of Sam Adams Utopia being brewed...That was a site to see...

Just cracked my new american amber (2 weeks conditioned). Racked my scotch ale to secondary and getting resdy to boil an american light(for those hot summer days). Pipelinin' baby!!! Damn i love this hobby.

Ridin', brewin', and starin at my hot wife!!! Life is good!!

Not brewing tonight but took all my faucets apart and Man are they Nasty! Drinking a nice Beire de Garde to keep me feeling good while I clean.

This weather sucks! I want to brew so bad it hurts and between the snowstorm and single digit, freezing cold I could pop. I have stuff to make an all grain 5 gallons of cream ale and a light lager and can I brew ....no. I am dying to break in my new rig and it aint happening.

Was I going to brew... yes... and I did. Friend came over who I'm going to help w/ his first brew too get a feel for the process and I made my Brewcraft Dead Guy clone kit that my sis got me. All went well other then me topping off with too much water and missing my OG by .007 points. Oh well:)
John

Sitting here in the garage with cooker just an arms reach away (using for heat as well....lol) with a Porter going. Meant to get this thing on the road around 2pm today, but got a bit sidetracked.

No worries though... Brewing on a Saturday night equals a great time in my book..... ;)

I brewed up an orange cascade pale ale. First full boil partial mash. Went fairly successful. Definitely need tp work on my process and buy a cooler.

I brewed on Saturday but it was my first brew in 9 years. I did an all-grain American Pale Ale. I know I converted but I'm not sure how efficient my mash was...I topped off the carboy with about 1.5 gallons of Spring Water and tried to agitate the carboy before I took the sample but I think my sample was diluted because the gravity of my sample was way low (then I remembered about getting bad gravity readings when I top off the carboy like this:eek:). The color seems about right and I had 1 bubble/10 seconds within about 4-6 hours of pitching...and better than 1 bubble/second when I woke up the next day. Stayed at about the same rate all day then slowed a bit last night...this morning it's at about 1 bubble/8 seconds.

I may have gone a tiny bit too far with the hops but we'll see. I thought my Cascade hops were 5% but later realized they are 7%...woopsie.

Pils this Saturday! Then Oatmeal Stout the next Saturday!:ban:

Brewed two 5.5 gallon batches yesterday.

Breiss Carmel 10 - 8 oz
Breiss Flaked Wheat 8 oz
Carmel Vienna 4 oz
Wheat Liquid Extract 3 lb 4 oz
2 Row 2 lbs
Wheat DME 2 lbs

Williamette pellets 1.5 oz @ 60

White Labs Belgian Wit w/ 500 ml starter

Second Brew:

2 Row - 2 lbs
Amber DME 4 lbs 8 oz
Carmel 60 - 14.2 oz
Flaked Oats -14.2 oz
Simpsons Chocolate -3.3 oz
Breiss Victory - 6.6 oz

Fuggles 1 oz @ 60
Kent goldings 1 oz @15

One 11 gram Nottingham - rehydrated

The first brew is my attempt at BierMuncher's SWMBO slayer. The second is my attempt at Lil'Sparky's Nut Brown. I tasted a little after taking the O.G. reading. They both tasted fantastic. It was a long, but enjoyable day. I can't wait for them to finish.

Back