Competitions and judging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I got back my scoresheets from the first round of nationals today and to say the least I'm pretty disappointed.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the same exact beer, entered in 2 different categories can be judged so differently. It confirms my previous suspicions of why judging competitions are a load of crap.

Highlights on one of the sheets:

Out of 5 categories on the score sheet, Aroma, Appearance, Flavor, Mouthfeel, and Overall Impression, the judge mentioned diacetyl on 5 of them. The lone category he didn't mention it on was Appearance, but for as much as he talked about it on the other portions, I'm surprised the freaking a-hole couldn't see the diacetyl as well. :rolleyes: Ridiculous.
FWIW, not one of the other 3 score sheets even mentions a hint of any diacetyl related comments.

I just don't understand how the exact same beer can be judged so differently, and in the 2 categories have one score average a 30 and one average a 33.5, and place second in the category. It is BS.

This pretty much confirms I'll let my friends and myself be the judge of my beers form here on out. I won't be entering anymore competitions for sure--in fact I am considering not even sending in my second round entry. I'm that convinced that the BJCP/judging is a complete load of crap.

Dude said:
Out of 6 categories on the score sheet, Aroma, Appearance, Flavor, Mouthfeel, and Overall Impression, the judge mentioned diacetyl on 5 of them. The lone category he didn't mention it on was Appearance, but for as much as he talked about it on the other portions, I'm surprised the freaking a-hole couldn't see the diacetyl as well. :rolleyes: Ridiculous.
FWIW, not one of the other 3 score sheets even mentions a hint of any diacetyl related comments.
When did the Kaiser become a certified judge?

I know that was DMS...it just popped in my head.
:D :p

I'd like to enter a few of my brews in competitions. Is there a listing of when they are and how to get entered into them? I'd like to throw a bottle of the Caramel Vanilla out there and see what hits it gets.

threadjacked.gif

hijack-vi.jpg
:p :rockin:

I look at beer competitions the same way that Walker looks at hydrometers: They are evil and only serve as a source of worry and frustration. Why do you need the assurance of some self-proclaimed "expert" to know that your beer is good? Do you like your beer? If so, then it is good. Sorry if I am ranting but the mere idea of beer judging just get me wound up.:mad:

ablrbrau said:
I look at beer competitions the same way that Walker looks at hydrometers: They are evil and only serve as a source of worry and frustration. Why do you need the assurance of some self-proclaimed "expert" to know that your beer is good? Do you like your beer? If so, then it is good. Sorry if I am ranting but the mere idea of beer judging just get me wound up.:mad:

Me too--and I'm on record of saying it before today. However, I "assumed" I'd get some good feedback from this competition considering it was national. Turns out the gooftard that made all of those diacetyl comments is an "experienced but not in BJCP" 'judge'. Which essentially means he knows about as much about tasting as me. Why bother?

Some of the local BJCP judges brew very fine stuff, others are afraid to expose their efforts to the public. We have one Beer Critic, who as far as I've been able to determine, pours only store-bought from his own hand. I've never entered a contest or even a judging. I rarely make the same ale or cider twice, so what's the point of judging any of them?

I have a friend that spent two years and countless dollars resoring a 69 Camaro. That car is just fantastic. Another friend suggested that he enter it in some car shows. He said "Why? I show it every time I take it out of the garage."

That's the way I feel about my beer.

ablrbrau said:
I have a friend that spent two years and countless dollars resoring a 69 Camaro. That car is just fantastic. Another friend suggested that he enter it in some car shows. He said "Why? I show it every time I take it out of the garage."

That's the way I feel about my beer.

That's a good analogy.

I know my beer is getting better--so I love it when my friends enjoy it. I remain very critical of it though. I think I'm finally getting some basics down, I'm using the same process which seems to work, and I think it has really helped my beers. Now I need to do the biggest jump yet--fermentation control. It will happen this summer when I get a bonus from my job. Chest freezer and thermo control.

When it comes to my beer, my car, my women or anything else thats mine I look at it this way . . .

If I like it thats cool . . .
as for anyone else . . . **** 'em

Dude said:
Me too--and I'm on record of saying it before today. However, I "assumed" I'd get some good feedback from this competition considering it was national. Turns out the gooftard that made all of those diacetyl comments is an "experienced but not in BJCP" 'judge'. Which essentially means he knows about as much about tasting as me. Why bother?

Someone put in too many hops at 60.

I have an Amber Ale on tap right now that I really love; it's nice and smooth and has a really mellow taste. However, the other day a buddy and I went out to dinner and then had some brews and a game of darts at my place. Before we left the restaurant, we each grabbed a mint on the way out. The beer did not taste the way it did before, it had a horrible aftertaste.

What I am getting at is that it may depend on what the judge ate earlier in the day. I know there are things to clean your palette (ginger, crackers, etc,), but I still think that they can throw off the taste buds.

Dude said:
Chest freezer and thermo control.

You won't regret it. When you sit down with a cold Bock or Oktoberfest or whatever your first lager is, you'll simply wonder why you waited so long.
Cheers.:mug:

Dude, the judge can follow Pumbaa's saying of 'Pog Mo Thoin'. It's Gaelic and too funny.... Back to your post though, I'm not certain if I really know what diacetyl tastes like in beer. I've heard of a couple of different descriptors but isn't diacetyl always going to be a fermentation by-product to a certain degree and we just try to minimize it by cooler fermentation temperatures? As per a judges perception does diacetyl become a problem when it detracts from the overall flavor profile or can it in some instances be a benefit? Wish I knew more but don't have the time or money to become a 'certified' judge. Just as so many have already responded and I'll echo again, most of our close buddies will without hesitation say if our beers are good or bad. Go back to the competition, shake the judges hand, and tell him 'Pog Mo Thoin'.

Latest posts

Back