Temp. Controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slippery

Reaction score
Just wonder what recommendations any of you could give on the best temperature controller out there?
Trying to get a chest freezer or a frig set up soon.
Thanks for any input or advise you may have on this one.

For something off-the-shelf, you can find Ranco ETC 11000 and Johnson A419 controllers already wired up. If you are handy with modest electrical work, you can get the unwired versions and wire them yourself, or there are other digital temperature controllers like the Love TSS series and the popular and inexpensive STC-1000.

I have a couple of single stage Ranco ET-11000's, and a Love TSS2. The Ranco's are solid enough, but lack an anti-short-cycle function, and are a bit dated in design. The Johnson A419 has the ASC function, a definite advantage, but it's just as "clunky" as the Ranco.

The Love controller, otoh, has the ASC function, and a heck of a lot more, including all kinds of control modes and alarm functions. And it comes in this tiny package (off the top of my head it's about 3"x1" at the bezel and maybe a couple of inches deep). But it comes as just the unwired controller, you have to integrate it into your specific application (yup, "some assembly required").

Like the STC-1000, one advantage of the tiny packages is you can actually install it in a refrigerator door or a keezer collar and run dedicated wiring. Or you can stick it in a hobby box with a duplex outlet and use extension cords to reach whatever you're driving.

So lots of choices out there. It's really a matter of how handy you are and what bells and whistles you might want...

Cheers!

Awesome... Lots of choices out there . I'll take a look at them and figure it out.
Thanks for the info.

Back