Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do people really have that much intestinal distress from homebrew? I've never had trouble with it.

I fix aircraft for a living, usually on delivery day, everyone have to be in the cockpit, so day before delivery, Imake sure I have my fare share of homebrew, trust me, the cockpit is mine the day after:D

Do people really have that much intestinal distress from homebrew? I've never had trouble with it.

I did in the beginning, but not anymore. Only if I somehow kick up the sediment in the keg. My mom, however, won't drink my beer anymore because it hits her so bad. I had to start filtering because of her.

I did in the beginning, but not anymore. Only if I somehow kick up the sediment in the keg. My mom, however, won't drink my beer anymore because it hits her so bad. I had to start filtering because of her.

I know a guy who can only drink one brand because the other BMC gives him the runs. I don't think it is always a reaction to yeast.

Maintaining good gut fauna is essential. Homebrew and yogurt are both great sources.

I know a guy who can only drink one brand because the other BMC gives him the runs. I don't think it is always a reaction to yeast.

Maintaining good gut fauna is essential. Homebrew and yogurt are both great sources.

I get issues whenever I drink BMC. Maybe because every time I've drank BMC its 12+ :p

My experience with non-craft drinkers is they just drink homebrew right out of the bottle...I haven't been able to train anyone to pour it in a glass without some guidance.
You can't not get a good amount of trub when you do that.

My experience with non-craft drinkers is they just drink homebrew right out of the bottle...I haven't been able to train anyone to pour it in a glass without some guidance.

I think this is the problem. They drink it from the bottle, swirling the sediment, or they pour it all into the glass. Then it tastes bad. I mean, sure, maybe a beer isn't their style, but if they say an amber or pale or blonde tastes bad, that's probably it.

I have come to love the Irish ale yeast for this very reason. Once it's been in the fridge for a couple days you can get away with drinking straight out of the bottle, that stuff is like glue.

I've had a similar experience with S04 in my reds. I told people to pour it carefully, but one demonstrated that he poured it all out, or drank from the bottle without trouble. That stuff floccs hard.
Homebrew doesn't bother my stomach, though many things do. Some commercial brews do, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

First time I'd seen that acronym. Figured it out though. I'm still pretty new.

Well actually, BMC is not an acronym, it's an abbreviation, since the letters don't produce a pronounceable word.

There, now you've been introduced to "Well actually..." and derailment, two more very common HBT phenomena. Welcome friend!

I gave some beers to my fiancee's brothers the night before they took a road trip to New Mexico and they were drinking it all out of the bottle. I told them out would give them had but they wouldn't believe me.

The next day my fiancee got a text from her mother complaining about the angels coming from the brothers.

I gave some beers to my fiancee's brothers the night before they took a road trip to New Mexico and they were drinking it all out of the bottle. I told them out would give them had but they wouldn't believe me.

The next day my fiancee got a text from her mother complaining about the angels coming from the brothers.

Those are some awesome autocorrects. If my brothers had angels coming from them then I would probably complain too.

Why not risk another derail? I'll just say it.

The paleo diet is for morons. All of recorded history and all known technological advances by humans have occurred while our species has been living on cultivated grains.

I'm sure there is a "well actually" out there...

Well actually...

My wife and I have been following a form of the paleo diet for 2 years now, with the exception that we eat fermented dairy (yogurt and cheese) whereas "strict" is dairy free. Combined we lost 130 pounds, both have more energy than we ever have, less joint pain, and are typically in better moods too.

Humans spent 2 million years transforming into what we are today, with only the last 10,000 or so involving agriculture. Then, consider the "advancements" of the last 50 years, what are the odds that the human digestive changed enough to deal with the dietary changes of the last 2% of that time to include agriculture, or the last .002% of that time?

I guess my point is, that your blanket statement is calling me a moron. And it seems your opinion may not be a fully informed one. There are entire books on this topic, some are good, some aren't. This dietary choice has worked for me and my wife. But it is not necessary for others.

If you feel the need to argue the point further, message me privately, as this is not intended to be another derailment.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

(edit: Yes, I drink beer. It is gluten free beer, no I don't consider that paleo either. My wife drinks cider.)

Well it wasn't necessarily about beer, but when I had posted up a picture on FB of my new brewing gear, kettle and burner. I was asked if I was making tamales. My land lord asked me the same thing when he came over to check on something.

Well actually...

My wife and I have been following a form of the paleo diet for 2 years now, with the exception that we eat fermented dairy (yogurt and cheese) whereas "strict" is dairy free. Combined we lost 130 pounds, both have more energy than we ever have, less joint pain, and are typically in better moods too.

Humans spent 2 million years transforming into what we are today, with only the last 10,000 or so involving agriculture. Then, consider the "advancements" of the last 50 years, what are the odds that the human digestive changed enough to deal with the dietary changes of the last 2% of that time to include agriculture, or the last .002% of that time?

I guess my point is, that your blanket statement is calling me a moron. And it seems your opinion may not be a fully informed one. There are entire books on this topic, some are good, some aren't. This dietary choice has worked for me and my wife. But it is not necessary for others.

If you feel the need to argue the point further, message me privately, as this is not intended to be another derailment.

(edit: Yes, I drink beer. It is gluten free beer, no I don't consider that paleo either. My wife drinks cider.)

Reality: methodically following just about any structured diet plan at all will result in weight loss for a variety of reasons, including less consumption of junk food and unhealthy snacks. That doesn't prove it's the diet plan we were genetically designed for...

I don't buy arguments that we haven't been farming long enough to have adapted to the ways it has changed our diet, especially since we were gathering grains in the wild long before we started raising them. And consider how abruptly Europeans became lactose tolerant; we're talking a relative eye-blink in the history of the human race.

add: That was a good thing, that widened the variety of nutrition available to them. Why should those of us who have inherited that adaptation reject it, just because the other 65% of humanity isn't as fortunate?

If a paleo diet works for you, that's great. But it doesn't mean we're intrinsically engineered to eat that way, and should reject all of humankind's advances in feeding ourselves since we climbed down from the trees. Especially since there's a lot of dispute over what our ancestors actually ate, in what proportions, and how it was prepared....

I am not rejecting most advancements, I still have to rely on commercial farms for my fresh produce and meat. My local grocery store has far better zucchini etc than my backyard (or nearby forest) could possibly provide. But being called a moron for choosing a particular diet, is a lot like being called a moron for brewing my own beer.

As far as a diet for morons goes I'm not sure what that would be but I would like a diet for the layman. Nothing in the food that you need a chemistry degree to understand.

I am not rejecting most advancements, I still have to rely on commercial farms for my fresh produce and meat. My local grocery store has far better zucchini etc than my backyard (or nearby forest) could possibly provide. But being called a moron for choosing a particular diet, is a lot like being called a moron for brewing my own beer.

You're wasting your time trying to explain your diet to people. If it works for you, that's great. But most people are judgmental and people tend to lash out at things they don't understand/agree with.

Not saying I agree with either side - just saying.

Also, it's really annoying when someone is talking about something, and someone else chimes in "I CAN'T EAT THAT! I'M A VEGETARIAN/VEGAN/PALEO/PESCATARIAN/NICARAGUAN!"

;)

Well actually...

Yes, I was making a blanket statement. No, of course that's not fair; your mileage may vary. Not everyone who tries paleo is actually a moron.

I'm overly annoyed with paleo because most of what I've read about it sounds sort of sensible at a basic level, until you start to peel back the surface even a little bit and think critically about the underlying claims.

I know it has worked for many people, and I agree with the other guy who wrote that any structured diet is going to be an improvement for most of us.

That's all. I'm sorry I called you a moron. It wasn't personal.

Well it wasn't necessarily about beer, but when I had posted up a picture on FB of my new brewing gear, kettle and burner. I was asked if I was making tamales. My land lord asked me the same thing when he came over to check on something.
My first brew kettle was a seven-gallon aluminum tamale pot from Walmart.

One of my friends showed up while I was brewing, looked at the brown gunk boiling away in it and asked, "so are you cooking up a pot of beans too, while you're at it?"

Well actually, BMC is not an acronym, it's an abbreviation, since the letters don't produce a pronounceable word.

There, now you've been introduced to "Well actually..." and derailment, two more very common HBT phenomena. Welcome friend!

Well actually, BMC is an initialism meant to be pronounced one letter at a time, not an abbreviation which is a shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase. :D

As far as a diet for morons goes I'm not sure what that would be but I would like a diet for the layman. Nothing in the food that you need a chemistry degree to understand.

An easy diet for the lay man: shop around the edges of a grocery store. That is generally where the whole foods are that do not require a chemistry degree to interpret. Avoid the middle where most of the processed crap is.

Sent from my brewery while sitting on the John.

here's an idea:

eat wtf you want, let other people eat wtf they want, stop feeling superior about what's on your plate, stop whining about what others have on their plates

I usually am guilty of violating the last 2 rules. because the food I eat is tastyandgood and whatever you're eating just looks nasty

So, slightly rerailing with slight humor. My wife was an anthropology major in college until her money ran out. I generally feel she is smarter than me. So I was having her proof my recent posts.
Then she stops me and says, "Why did you start drinking beer anyway? You've always liked wine better."

Maybe you had to be there...

An easy diet for the lay man: shop around the edges of a grocery store. That is generally where the whole foods are that do not require a chemistry degree to interpret. Avoid the middle where most of the processed crap is.

Sent from my brewery while sitting on the John.

Exactly! I spend a fortune every month on groceries, and 85% of it comes from the edges. I'm about to plant a huge garden today to take some of that strain off my wallet.

And back to your regularly scheduled thread topic:

Last night my wife and sister in law and myself went to a pub that had a tap takeover by Stone. The ladies both really like imperial stouts and they went with the espresso imperial stout. I got an Old Guardian barley wine. I gave sis a taste and she said "it tastes like something I would soak in if I thought I had a whole body infection."

I almost shot beer out of my nose.

And back to your regularly scheduled thread topic:

Last night my wife and sister in law and myself went to a pub that had a tap takeover by Stone. The ladies both really like imperial stouts and they went with the espresso imperial stout. I got an Old Guardian barley wine. I gave sis a taste and she said "it tastes like something I would soak in if I thought I had a whole body infection."

I almost shot beer out of my nose.
Well, guess that would clear up a sinus infection :)

The next person that starts on off-topic stupid internet pissing contest is going to receive a colossal d!ckpunch from me through their monitor. At one point I enjoyed this thread. Sifting through pages of diet arguments is the last frickin thing I ever want to waste my life on. Stop it.

Anyway, funny thing I heard this weekend at Southern Tier's Public Day event was the assistant brewer telling the tourists that all of their beer was English beer because they're ales. WTF?

If they were cask ales,I could see that. But other countries brewed ales for centuries as well. A rather generalized statement for an assistant brewer...

The next person that starts on off-topic stupid internet pissing contest is going to receive a colossal d!ckpunch from me through their monitor. At one point I enjoyed this thread. Sifting through pages of diet arguments is the last frickin thing I ever want to waste my life on. Stop it.

RDWHHB...

I just wanted to be the first to say that....:D

Anyway, funny thing I heard this weekend at Southern Tier's Public Day event was the assistant brewer telling the tourists that all of their beer was English beer because they're ales. WTF?
Whoa…it's okay man.

Onto your funny thing. How in the heck does ST employ a brewer who doesn't know the product he brews? That would worry me just a tad.

I heard this weekend, well was told this weekend, that a hangover from beer is a result of mixing styles of beer. This is news to me. I tried to explain that consuming way too much is the result of my hangover, but not sure about the science behind hangovers from mixing styles. Anyone heard that?

I heard this weekend, well was told this weekend, that a hangover from beer is a result of mixing styles of beer. This is news to me. I tried to explain that consuming way too much is the result of my hangover, but not sure about the science behind hangovers from mixing styles. Anyone heard that?

It sounds like they took it from the old theory that it was caused by mixing types of alcohol, like beer and vodka. I don't know if that is true, but mixing beer styles is hilarious!

It sounds like they took it from the old theory that it was caused by mixing types of alcohol, like beer and vodka. I don't know if that is true, but mixing beer styles is hilarious!

I really figured but the person that told me has mentioned it before when she said she had a hangover from the variety of beers consumed. I have it on good authority that it is was the amount consumed.

Latest posts

Back