BM23C progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
Well, while waiting for parts for my Bev Air bm23c kegerator, I decided to try to clean up the outside of the box. The stainless exterior has quite a bit of rust. First, a pic of the front of the box....
http://www.howlinowl.com/photos/bm23c/frontdirty.jpg
In the pic, you can see I've already cleaned the top.
In a previous post, I had asked for recommendations on what to use to clean the rust off. Couple of forum members recommended using "Bar Keeper's Friend". They recommended the liquid, but all that Wallyworld carries here is the powder.
Below is a pic of the box after cleaning:
http://www.howlinowl.com/photos/bm23c/3quarterclean.jpg
Still some heavy rust pitting left. Don't know if I should try sanding it, or just leave it. The box will be mostly used to hold my buckets and carboys in the garage for fermentation, and some use on the backyard deck as a serving kegerator when we have parties and stuff at the house.

Allan

More progress. This week I finally received my new condenser coil and capillary tube for my BM23C. Last weekend I removed the compressor, bad condenser coil and condenser fan assy from the unit. I also removed the casters and wheels, and the compressor tray from the bottom. I soldered in some schrader access valves into the compressor lines, triple evacuated the compressor, purging with nitrogen each time and put a 100 psi holding charge in the compressor to keep it dry until I am ready to reassemble. I turned the unit upside down and have painted the bottom and shelf of it. I also purchased some front casters from Home Depot, as one was broken. I couldn't find any straight wheels that would bolt into the back, so I have dissassembled them and painted the frames. Pictures below:

bottompaint.JPG

comptray.JPG

castor.JPG

]It's alive!!!!!!!!.......It's AAAAALLLLIIIIVVVVEEEE!

Finally got the compressor, new condenser coil, new capilary tube and new drier soldered in. Evacuated it all yesterday afternoon and charged it up late yesterday.

Today, I reinstalled the freshly painted evaporator cover, with the cleaned up evap fan, motor and grill, installed a new aftermarket temp control.

Fired it up this evening.

Box is at 38 degrees as we speak, I'm gonna leave it on overnight and see how it fares.

The inside is still pretty ugly, I may still mask it off and paint the insides, dunno if it's really worth it. The outside came out better than it was, but is far from looking good, still, it'll still be a good backyard kegerator during get togethers.....

I wanna turn the temp control up and see how warm it'll operate. I wanna use this for my fermenters also.

Allan

Back