carbonation station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrkinYards

Reaction score
I've got two strong scotish ales fermenting that say they are ready to drink two months after carbonation. My problem is I currently only carbonate in my kegerator meaning that if I won't have beer to drink for 2 months if I put them in there.

I was thinking it might make sense to get two more kegs and another co2 tank and regulator and put them in the storage unit and have a place where I can let them carbonate and age. Before I invest that much money on new kegs, co2 tank and regulator I wanted to see if there was some other way to do this that made sense. Would the beer carbonate if I put the co2 on them and cranked it up and then disconnected the co2 and put it back on the kegs in my kegerator?

Thanks!

Back and forth will probably be a pain in the arse. I do the '"carbontation station" and it works great for me but, I already had the tank,reg etc. Have you considered naturally carbing the kegs with priming sugar and letting them sit for the two months?

You can also look into pressure fermentation. You basically ferment in a sanke keg, allowing pressure to escape during early fermentation, but then closing the keg up and letting the pressure build up towards the end of fermentation to achieve natural carbonation.

Another option. HERE'S THE THREAD.

From there you transfer to serving kegs. Probably more investment than a simple carbing station, though. I imagine the easiest/cheapest thing to do is to use your existing setup. Just pressurize each keg to 30psi from your existing setup. Then you can store it. I believe that pressure is sufficient carbonation at room temp. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, guys.

[...]I imagine the easiest/cheapest thing to do is to use your existing setup. Just pressurize each keg to 30psi from your existing setup. Then you can store it. I believe that pressure is sufficient carbonation at room temp. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, guys.

A single 30psi pressurization on a full keg won't even come close to carbonating the contents. No doubt you're read of all the "burst carb" exploits involving 36 hours or more under constant 30psi pressure to achieve a decent carb level...

Cheers!

[edit] fwiw, I went ahead with investing in a second regulator/tank setup for a separate carbonation system using one of my brew fridges. Totally worth it, when my keezer kicks a keg I can just pull a fresh, fully carbed keg out of a fridge and be good to go, and never have to deal with "burst carb" scenarios...

Back