Alaska trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
Well, the wife and I have a wedding to go to in Alaska, and, given the price of air travel, we figure we might as well continue to go broke and stay in Alaska for 10 days.

We'll be in Anchorage, and will likely be a lot of time on the Kenai Peninsula. We may head up to Denali as well.

What are beer places to skip, and must see beer places?

I found this helpful list- http://beerme.com/region.php?60.

Thanks!

I really like Humpy's! That was fun, with good halibut tacos and good beer.

There's another brewpub in Anchorage that I liked, but I can remember the name of it at the moment. The food was $$$$$$$ though!

We did an Alaskan cruise followed up with an RV trip through Kenai a few years back, and had a great time. Here are three breweries that we visited in the Anchorage/Kenai area:

Moose's Tooth, Anchorage - definitely go, great food, great beer
Kassik's Brewery, Kenai - so so, if you happen to be there and have time
Homer Brewing Company - if you make it that far down, definitely go

The two best breweries we hit on that trip were off the cruise ship: Alaskan Brewing Company in Juneau and Haines Brewing Company. Most people have heard of ABC, especially their smoked porter, which I drank quite a bit of while at their brewery. Haines was the best one we went to, small shop, actually located in the set that was built for the move White Fang. Great guys there, great beers. Wife and I ended up spending virtually the entire day in Haines at the brewing company.

BTW, I very rarely buy clothing from any brewery. Haines was good enough that I bought a ballcap, and still wear it every once in a while.

I lived in anchorage for 4 years and can tell u to avoid koots that place is a stupid night club with super violent bouncers they have killed a few people (no joke there have been like 2 or 3 people die there by the bouncers) the moose tooth and the bears tooth are awesome and humpys is cool and a place called Darwins theory is a cool dive bar with good beer while u are there u have to get a duck fart its a shot that is huge in AK where are u staying ?

I really like Humpy's! That was fun, with good halibut tacos and good beer.

There's another brewpub in Anchorage that I liked, but I can remember the name of it at the moment. The food was $$$$$$$ though!

Thanks! Humpy's on the list.

We did an Alaskan cruise followed up with an RV trip through Kenai a few years back, and had a great time. Here are three breweries that we visited in the Anchorage/Kenai area:

Moose's Tooth, Anchorage - definitely go, great food, great beer
Kassik's Brewery, Kenai - so so, if you happen to be there and have time
Homer Brewing Company - if you make it that far down, definitely go

The two best breweries we hit on that trip were off the cruise ship: Alaskan Brewing Company in Juneau and Haines Brewing Company. Most people have heard of ABC, especially their smoked porter, which I drank quite a bit of while at their brewery. Haines was the best one we went to, small shop, actually located in the set that was built for the move White Fang. Great guys there, great beers. Wife and I ended up spending virtually the entire day in Haines at the brewing company.

Looks like we will be going to Homer, so I'm hoping we can hit this up!

I lived in anchorage for 4 years and can tell u to avoid koots that place is a stupid night club with super violent bouncers they have killed a few people (no joke there have been like 2 or 3 people die there by the bouncers) the moose tooth and the bears tooth are awesome and humpys is cool and a place called Darwins theory is a cool dive bar with good beer while u are there u have to get a duck fart its a shot that is huge in AK where are u staying ?

Hah, the duck fart sounds tasty.

We'll be staying with friends & in hostels, most likely.

If you end up on Kodiak Island, Kodiak Island Brewing Company is an awesome place with great beer. Mostly high gravity stuff if you're into that. It's a small little place on the waterfront, and they will gladly give you a tour of the back. I brought one of their glasses home with me from my trip to visit a friend who was stationed there with the Coast Guard.

It was a great trip! We spent 4 nights on the Kenai Peninsula, split between Homer and Seward. Homer Brewing was great, as well as Ring of Fire Meadery. We also watched Kung Fu Panda 2 at the Moose's Tooth in Anchorage- that was a fun time, and good beer!

All in all, a great trip!

not sure why Midnight Sun is not mentioned here.

Now the second best brewery in the state. State law only allows 36 oz of beer in a tasting room of a brewery. So go out there (By Home Depot in an industrial park and enjoy thier great beer).

Anchorage Brewing Company has the best beer but it is only available in bottle. THey brew/ferment/age at Snow Goose..downstairs.

Shoot saw this post to late!
Kenai River Brewery in Soldotna is great!
Saint Elias in Soldotna is fantastic too! And they have stone oven pizza that's killer too!!!
And yeah.. Midnight Sun in Anchorage has wonderful brews too!

Back