lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopalotamus

Reaction score
brewed a oktoberfest lagered in seconsary for 3 months then bottled and primed been at room temp to carb for a few weeks its good and carbed dose it need to be put back at lagering temp or will it be ok at room temp

brewed a oktoberfest lagered in seconsary for 3 months then bottled and primed been at room temp to carb for a few weeks its good and carbed dose it need to be put back at lagering temp or will it be ok at room temp

Question for you, I am currently working on my first attempt at a lager, a European Pilsner, and am worried about bottle conditioning. After racking to a secondary and lagering for 6 weeks, I am worried that I may not have enough viable yeast to properly carb my beer.

Did you re pitch with any yeast prior to bottling your oktoberfest?

From what I have read Matt, you should be okay without re-pitching. Having said that, for the cost of half a packet of yeast it might be worth thinking about. I recently had my first experience with repitching at bottling (a stout) and I was quite happy with how it worked out.

I had similar experiences with the couple of lagers I've done, and the ales I've cold crashed. You don't have to add yeast back in at bottling, but it does help speed things along a little.

Never done it myself, but plenty of people say you can use pretty much any clean-flavored dry yeast. Ale yeast is fine, so grab a packet of whatever is cheapest.

Back