Drink more Mild!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhaus15

Reaction score
Seriously, what's up with the lack of love for mild's these days?

I understand it doesn't have the tooth enamel stripping qualities of a hoppy IPA or smash you over the head with flavor like a RIS, but you'd think that more people would sticking up for this little gem of English beer styles.

To remedy this, October is going to be Mild month here at casa de BierHaus (What better beer for the fall anyways?). Starting tomorrow I will brew a different batch of mild each week (a dark mild, a 'historical' mild, and a pale mild) and when it is all ready to drink, throw a nice mild beer tasting with my local mild-ale enthusiasts... and maybe get a few IPA obsessed friends to take the time and appreciate a beer that's a little more down to earth. If anyone has the mind to do the same, maybe we can organize a little exchange or something in November? :)

Anyways, here is the first installment of my 3xMild Project:

75% Pale, Maris Otter
8% Malted Oats
8% English Dark Crystal (75L)
5% English Extra Dark Crystal (160L)
4% Pale Chocolate (200L)

Fuggles @ 22 IBU

WY1968/ 1.038/ 19 SRM/

Anyone have any good dark mild recipes or suggestions?? I was thinking for next week doing something with Mild/Brown malt and using WY1469.

I have a mild in the fermenter right now. My son told me my first one, Orfy's recipe, was the best beer I had made to date. I took it to a club meeting and one of the more experienced brewers told someone to 'try the excellent mild'. A certified BJCP judge (lacking a few experience points of being a national) had a glass. A few minutes later his wife came looking for 'the mild'. I took NONE home.

I agree!

It's been about 5 months since I last brewed a mild. I think I'll move it up on my schedule. Thanks.

Orfy's mild is great and I've made it three times. But now I own How to British Real Ale and I'm working my way through those mild recipes.

I <3 Mild. I'm out. I really really need to brew some more, as I've got none in the current pipeline.

Here's the recipe, if you're interested.

Why aren't more people interested in Mild? Because we're Americans, where everything has to be bigger faster louder MORE, including beer styles. Because the vast majority of people think anything less than a flavor bomb (or 8% ABV) is automatically "Meh". Look at the portfolios of most packaging microbreweries.

The beers everyone gets moist panties over are the big ones. When's the last time you heard someone rave over Dogfish Head's Lawnmower (22)? Hell, over Shelter Pale Ale (63)? As opposed to 90 Minute (100) or World Wide Stout (100), of course. When's the last time you saw someone rave over Victory's Helles Lager (79) instead of Storm King (100) or St Victorious (93)?

Numbers in parentheses are from www.ratebeer.com ratings. Look at the review texts, too. If reviewers are indicative of beer enthusiasts, we're all a bunch of nouveau riche idiots who can't tell a good beer if you put neon signs around it flashing "This is a good beer, you moron!" If it isn't so full of flavor that it could rouse a corpse, it's lousy.

There's a story about supposed connoisseurs who were trying to tell vintages of port given them by the butler. One said it was this vintage, another that. The argument was quite heated until the butler told them it was the cheap swill from the pub. (I forget where I read that. Christie?)

In case you can't tell, this is a real hot button for me. Classic beer styles are dropping away from the spotlight - if not actually dying, like Mild - because of popular styles which are only popular because they're so massively flavorful or alcoholic or made with nun's sweat or something.

[sigh]

Cheers,

Bob

I'll take the other side - LOL

I prefer flavor in one or two beers as opposed to sitting around drinking beer after beer and wondering if I am just a conduit to the urinal.

But honestly we should all brew and drink those styles that we like. If I wanted to rant I'd be all over the Jalapeno, Blueberry, Coriander Wheat beer brews.

I'm hoping to do a RIS/mild partigyle for my next brew day. Hoping to squeeze it in before my daughter is born in 2-6 weeks. Made Orfy's for a new year party and it went over great!

I love big flavorful beers, and I've never felt shortchanged by a mild. I'm not a large guy- only about 150 lbs., so a sessionable tasty beer like a mild is a beautiful thing.

Back to work on my recipe for a smoked vanilla bourbon coffee imperial Scottish 60/-...

@Elkdog: Snerk. ;) Don't get me started on "Imperial wotsit". That's an entirely different rant.

@Samc: I get you, and I totally support that. Me, I'd rather enjoy four pints of Mild or Bitter and still have some taste buds than one IIPA and taste nothing but hops for the next 24-48 hours. I find a well-crafted low-OG "session" ale a wonderful thing, because I can drink it for hours and still A. get home safely, and B. taste my bangers and mash. :D

That rant was more about what I consider a disturbing trend than the drinkers themselves. It's an unfortunate fact that the drinkers drive the trend. Now we're caught in a chicken/egg scenario: Breweries see drinkers falling over themselves for Big Beers and brew Big Beers. Aber natürlich; that's the free market at work. The trouble comes when the less-flavorful beers drop off the radar; I see the industry becoming more and more one of extremes, and styles I adore get lost because brewers don't have the resources to devote to "ho hum" styles.

Cheers,

Bob

I've been pondering making more session beers myself lately. I'm leaning more light lager at this point but may also throw a mild in my recipe hopper.

Not to derail us completely, but I think part of the problem with micros and milds is that the ingredients are a small portion of the costs. It's hard for me to justify coughing up $10 for a 6-pack of mild when a style I like in a higher ABV carries almost the same cost. Whereas if I were to actually brew a mild vs. that other style, the cost would be significantly lower. For example, using washed yeast and bulk hops, it looks like my upcoming session lager is going to cost me about $20 for 10 gallons of beer. My dark lager I just brewed cost me about $30 for the same volume. That's a lot more palpable to me.

I've been pondering making more session beers myself lately. I'm leaning more light lager at this point but may also throw a mild in my recipe hopper.

Not to derail us completely, but I think part of the problem with micros and milds is that the ingredients are a small portion of the costs. It's hard for me to justify coughing up $10 for a 6-pack of mild when a style I like in a higher ABV carries almost the same cost. Whereas if I were to actually brew a mild vs. that other style, the cost would be significantly lower. For example, using washed yeast and bulk hops, it looks like my upcoming session lager is going to cost me about $20 for 10 gallons of beer. My dark lager I just brewed cost me about $30 for the same volume. That's a lot more palpable to me.

I agree. That's why Milds, Ordinary Bitters, and Scottish Ales are such great beers to brew. Plus, Milds and OB's are ready to drink quite quickly, to boot. Sounds like a Mild would round out your lineup pretty nicely.

I agree. That's why Milds, Ordinary Bitters, and Scottish Ales are such great beers to brew. Plus, Milds and OB's are ready to drink quite quickly, to boot. Sounds like a Mild would round out your lineup pretty nicely.

Mild in the secondary to free up the primary. Was going to do an OB but decided on a Scottish Ale instead. :D

Maybe it is a result of my aging metabolism, but I'd rather not have as much alcohol on a daily basis.

I've converted a few people to craft beers with my Milds. Took a Mild to the 2009 Septembeerfest and it was gone almost as soon as the IPA another guy brought.

I'd rather enjoy four pints of Mild or Bitter and still have some taste buds than one IIPA and taste nothing but hops for the next 24-48 hours. I find a well-crafted low-OG "session" ale a wonderful thing, because I can drink it for hours and still A. get home safely, and B. taste my bangers and mash. :D

+ 1 to that!

It's good to see some people sticking up for the "little guys" of beer styles. It really irks me when I go to a beer tasting and some beer snob treats a beautiful pint of mild or bitter like a jagerbomb - downs it in one big gulp and moves on to the bigger styles without batting an eye. That, and I'm tired of always explaining a) what a mild/bitter is, and b) why it doesn't taste like like hop juice. I figure I can buy good commerical IPA's anywhere, but a REALLY good pint of Mild or Bitter is almost impossible to find.

Aside, when I meant 'historical mild' I meant a mild like those that would have been brewed a hundred years ago; which means a beer unlike any mild we have today - bitter, strong, hoppy.

Keep on brewing Mild! :D

Aside, when I meant 'historical mild' I meant a mild like those that would have been brewed a hundred years ago; which means a beer unlike any mild we have today - bitter, strong, hoppy.

And probably sour ;)

Not sour.

"Mild" in the historical sense means "fresh"; other terms were "present-use," or "running beer".

"Stock" ales were stored long enough to probably pick up some sourness. Porter, stout, Burton and India ales were stored in wood.

Roger Bergen wrote, in an article on Porter in Brewing Techniques magazine:

Not only were these "mild" ales of "low" gravity -- in the 1.050s, circa 1900 -- they lacked the characteristic acidity of the Brettanomyces secondary fermentation.

Cheers,

Bob

I <3 Mild. I'm out. I really really need to brew some more, as I've got none in the current pipeline.

Why aren't more people interested in Mild? Because we're Americans, where everything has to be bigger faster louder MORE, including beer styles. Because the vast majority of people think anything less than a flavor bomb (or 8% ABV) is automatically "Meh". Look at the portfolios of most packaging microbreweries.

The beers everyone gets moist panties over are the big ones. When's the last time you heard someone rave over Dogfish Head's Lawnmower (22)? Hell, over Shelter Pale Ale (63)? As opposed to 90 Minute (100) or World Wide Stout (100), of course. When's the last time you saw someone rave over Victory's Helles Lager (79) instead of Storm King (100) or St Victorious (93)?

Numbers in parentheses are from www.ratebeer.com ratings. Look at the review texts, too. If reviewers are indicative of beer enthusiasts, we're all a bunch of nouveau riche idiots who can't tell a good beer if you put neon signs around it flashing "This is a good beer, you moron!" If it isn't so full of flavor that it could rouse a corpse, it's lousy.

There's a story about supposed connoisseurs who were trying to tell vintages of port given them by the butler. One said it was this vintage, another that. The argument was quite heated until the butler told them it was the cheap swill from the pub. (I forget where I read that. Christie?)

In case you can't tell, this is a real hot button for me. Classic beer styles are dropping away from the spotlight - if not actually dying, like Mild - because of popular styles which are only popular because they're so massively flavorful or alcoholic or made with nun's sweat or something.

[sigh]

Cheers,

Bob

I agree somewhat. I tend to like bigger beers because they're generally the same price as smaller beers (more bang for your buck) and because you can sip them at your leisure with a meal (I don't drink wine). Also my two favorite styles are belgian ipa and dubbel.

I mostly brew smaller beers, though. Especially since I got into kegging. I won't spend ~10 bucks for a six-pack of session beer, but I'll gladly brew some. Friends and family find it a little easier on the palate, I find it easier on the wallet, and it keeps keg parties from turning into total ****shows and terrible hangovers. God, the amount of water you have to drink after downing ten high-gravity beers is insane. :drunk:

I LOVE milds. I have one in the secondary right now and this weekend I'm going to do a partigyle with a barlywine so I'll have 5 gallons of of ordinary bitter! I honestly just hope I like the barlywine enough...

I rarely brew ANYTHING over 6%. My house doesn't really care for the EXTREME beers, which I'm totally fine with.

Ive got a mild Mild on tap. 1.027 to 1.008. Slightly too mild. Next time I will go for about 1.035 to 1.010. But its excellent. I bought a couple of 1L jugs specially for it. I call it Lawnmower Mild - perfect for drinking while watching the gardener mow the lawn on a hot summers day.

Mild is one of my favorite styles. I need to brew one again. Glad it being talked about. I started brewing last year and just picked it as one to brew. Now its always in a keg or a bottle.

I've been interested in brewing a mild for some time now. I came across Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale thread and love that it's ready to drink so quickly. What worries me is that it says it needs to be enjoyed while young and that it goes down hill pretty quickly.

I'd keep one on tap all the time if it'll maintain flavor for several months, but if it won't last I'm hesitant to brew one. What's everyone's take on how well a mild ages?

I'd keep one on tap all the time if it'll maintain flavor for several months, but if it won't last I'm hesitant to brew one. What's everyone's take on how well a mild ages?

It doesn't age particularly well, but it's certainly not a bad beer to drink after a couple of months. But it's also one of those beers you can enjoy all day long without getting hammered, so the kegs tend to not last very long at all.

If you want something that ages a little better, just brew the mild's big brother, the brown porter.

I've a recipe for Lee Best Mild from 1952 here:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/07/lets-brew-wednesday-1952-lees-best-mild.html

It's got an interesting grist with a mixture of crystal, chocolate, brown, black and pale malt.

I think I found my recipe! Though funny thing I was looking through your Let's Brew articles yesterday and I didn't see this one. However, the recipe calls for Invert no 1. I assume that is a dark sugar syrup? Can I buy that or reproduce it at home?

Thanks!

Edit: I see Lyles Golden Syrup listed as a possible substitute, though I don't think I can get that around me. I've looked for it in the past with no luck.

Chase - I've just acquired wheeler's book too and I'd love to hear what you make of some of the mild or other recipes you have tried. Reckon others would too. cheers

I love milds. Love them. I always have them a mild in some form in my pipeline. Mild = More beers in one evening. Beer = Good. It's simple math people. Drink more milds.

Orfy's is the starting point for all my mild recipes, though that Lees-best has peeked my interest. I think I may shelf my next planned brew for it!

i'm brewing 10g mild this weekend, i don't need mouth-puckering hoppiness or strength. i have a 5.5% 40ibu apa fermenting now. the 1 before that was a 4.3% 18 ibu blonde, and before that an 8% ipa. it's why i brew: variety

More milds! And bitters! If I could only brew two styles it would be bitters and milds. They complement eachother so well and you can drink 'em all day and not be falling down drunk. I am going to brew a lot of bitters and milds this summer! You can use all sorts of malts and hops and they need less time to ferment.

[sigh]

Cheers,

Bob

Unfortunately, the same thing is happening in Britain where the dominant young beer-drinking group is swiftly becoming the vacuous hipster class. A binary opposition has been created between hop-heavy pale beers/super-strong stouts/porters, preferably on keg (viewed as 'cool'); and darker, subtler more 'traditional' styles usually served on cask (viewed as 'uncool'). Much of this, in Britain at least, can be blamed on the horrid, cynical marketing techniques of the money-grabbing 'brewery' BrewDog, who make very crap and inconsistent copies of the brasher American styles.

Now, there's nothing wrong with an 'in-your-face' beer from time-to-time, but surely subtley has more class than brash?

'a bunch of nouveau riche idiots' sums it up nicely.

Back