Confused about Alaskan Amber Clones extract kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu_11

Reaction score
So I went to two different websites that claim to have amber ales like Alaskan Amber. The confusing part is one advertises it as an Amber Ale..makes sense Alaskan Amber. One brew shop has an Amber Ale and an German Alt beer. I went to Alaskan Brewing Co. website and said Alaskan Amber is an Alt Style Beer. ..So is it an Amber Ale or Alt style..confused.

Hi Tenchu. I've never had Alaskan Amber, so can't say. But, you could look at the BJCP style guidelines and make your own judgement, based on your tasting of the beer. What, practically speaking, confusion is this causing for you? What does it matter?

So I went to two different websites that claim to have amber ales like Alaskan Amber. The confusing part is one advertises it as an Amber Ale..makes sense Alaskan Amber. One brew shop has an Amber Ale and an German Alt beer. I went to Alaskan Brewing Co. website and said Alaskan Amber is an Alt Style Beer. ..So is it an Amber Ale or Alt style..confused.

Specifically it is an attempt at reproducing a beer previously brewed in Alaska during gold rush days. In that way, it is more like california common than anything.

If we forget regions and history, it classifies best as a Northern German Alt. Most Alt kits will be for the Dusseldorf type.

It is in no way an "american amber ale".

Latest posts

Back