Bad scale or value added hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
I've notice this before, but when I brew I always get the scale out and weigh my hops before I add them, and every time the nominal 1 oz of hops in the vacuum sealed package weighs 1.2-1.4 oz. Unless of course my scale is off, but it seems to calibrate right with volumes of water. I guess you get more than what you pay for. When I did my first couple of brews I had no such scale, and got bit by the extra amount of hops... especially on the Hefe I did with a late boil addition.

Does everyone else get more hops than 1 oz? Just curious.

the foil packs of pellet hops i use consistently weigh 1.15 ounces

Had to look that one up

REGIONAL NOTE: Lagniappe derives from New World Spanish la ñapa, “the gift,” and ultimately from Quechua yapay, “to give more.” The word came into the rich Creole dialect mixture of New Orleans and there acquired a French spelling. It is still used in the Gulf states, especially southern Louisiana, to denote a little bonus that a friendly shopkeeper might add to a purchase. By extension, it may mean “an extra or unexpected gift or benefit.”

Back