Hole in my Concrete....LOL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alz28

Reaction score
I have had a kegerator for over a year and have been home brewing since Dec. Well I didn't install the drip tray and now I have a hole in my garage under my fawcett. I don't know if it is from the erossion of the dripping of the beer on the floor or the acidity of the beer? If it is from the acidity I hate to see what my insides look like. LOL. Have any of you guys ever had this happen? Just thought I'd post about it since I just noticed it tonight.

Al

Yes, beer is acidic and will chew up concrete. On the other hand, your stomach acid levels are much higher.

i think the hole is from the dripping, not necessarily because of beer's acidity. If that were the case coca-cola would eat away concrete too. The beer would probably only stain it. Concrete is so brittle dripping water would easily puncture a hole in it. just look at driveways that dont have drainpipes on their roof.
-Jefe-

i think the hole is from the dripping, not necessarily because of beer's acidity. If that were the case coca-cola would eat away concrete too. The beer would probably only stain it. Concrete is so brittle dripping water would easily puncture a hole in it. just look at driveways that dont have drainpipes on their roof.
-Jefe-

Eh coca cola would eat through concrete. The carbonic acid levels are pretty high, the old penny in the coke trick will demonstrate it's power.
My father was working in a coke factory years ago fixing some of their plumbing, he encountered pipes that were very very heavily scaled and he needed to clean them out. One of the coke employees saw his dilemma so he said to him to wait, he came back with a vat of coke concentrate, they left the pipes in there overnight, he came back the next day and they were like new.
He didn't have to do any cleaning beyond washing off the coke concentrate.

Back