Test Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthWoods

Reaction score
Just kind of a random question... Do you guys ever chop a recipe down to a smaller batch for testing different things out? Or do you just go with the 5 gallon batch and suck it up and drink it if it sucks?

From the primary I sometimes rack to a secondary (or keg) and a growler. In the growler I'll dry hop with something as an experiment. In the past I've put some mint leaves in a stout and jalapeño in an IPA, next up is habanero in a pale ale and vanilla in a cream ale.

That's good to know. I was thinking about doing something along those lines. Thanks

From the primary I sometimes rack to a secondary (or keg) and a growler. In the growler I'll dry hop with something as an experiment. In the past I've put some mint leaves in a stout and jalapeño in an IPA, next up is habanero in a pale ale and vanilla in a cream ale.

Not to highjack a thread, but how did those experiments turn out? I was thinking about trying something radical like that in the future. SWMBO likes mint and I might be able to get her to fall in love with beer if I can sneak some in!

I'm looking to get a case or two of the 128 oz version of these:
Glass Jars

I will likely soon be making a batch of IPA, and using 4 or 5 of these gallon jugs to test varying degrees of dry hopping.

The mint went really well with the honey stout, I took some leaves from the side yard and dried them in the the sun before adding. The key is to be pretty conservative on the amounts, a growler isn't that much beer. The jalapeno when into an oaked IPA which I haven't cracked yet.

So you guys are more talking just splitting up a batch and testing it? Not actually using half the ingredients to make half a batch?

So you guys are more talking just splitting up a batch and testing it? Not actually using half the ingredients to make half a batch?

You can do that if you want. I've never made a small batch of beer, but some people do. If you have a three gallon carboy, that would be ideal for 1/2 batch.

I do a lot of 2.5 gallon batches...test recipes, things that I know I won't want 2 cases of, things like that. I have a couple 3 gallon water bottles, one 3 gallon better bottle and even my old mr beer keg (which is great for lagering in your fridge btw) to ferment in.

Would cutting a recipe in half change my process at all? Change my hopping times at all?

No, not really. You can simply cut all ingredients in half, as a general rule. Except for yeast. If you're using liquid yeast, you'd still pitch the whole package.

... or maybe make a starter with half then save the other half for another batch with starter. On my batch before last I did 2.5 gallon and meant to use 1/2 vial but accidentally poured 3/4 (direct pitch, no starter). I saved the other 1/4 for the batch I did a few days ago and made a multistep starter, 250mL -> 1L. This batch is fermenting way harder than my previous batches.

Is there a limit to how small of a batch you can make before it's too small? If I'm just dividing down an AG recipe can I go as small as say one gallon?

Is there a limit to how small of a batch you can make before it's too small? If I'm just dividing down an AG recipe can I go as small as say one gallon?

The basic brewing radio guys are big on 1 gallon batches...to me that seems too much work for so little return (which is what some people say to those of us who often do 2.5 gallon batches)....

Look though the basic brewin archives to see their episodes on 1 gallon recipes..they've done Ipas and Barleywines in 1 gallon fermenters (about 3/4 of a gallon)

If anyone wants more info on small batch brewing, scroll through the Mr Beer sticky form the posts by me, I put a lot of info and recipes, and even a tutorial on doing 2.5 gallon all grain in a mr beer fermenter with a 2 gallon unmodified thermos as mashtun.

You could start from the back of the thread, or do a search of the thread for "2 gallon cooler" and "revvy" to find my posts in there.

I think I'm going to do a small batch in a smaller carboy for my first ever brew. That way if I enjoy it, (which I'm sure I will) I'll move onto bigger and better things. I read through the Mr. Beer thread a little and it sounds like thats a good amount to start with but the beer isn't as good. So, if I just chop the recipe down, I won't have more than I can handle and it should taste good.

Am I right in thinking this or should I just go right ahead for the full 5 gallon brew?

Personally, I would just go ahead a do a full 5 gallons, but I suppose it depends on what equipment you have. If you currently, only have the equipment for smaller batches, then by all means, go ahead. Cutting all the ingredients in half is just adding another step, to an already somewhat cumbersome process to us newbies. As long as you work slowly and carefully your first time through, and monitor your fermentation, you'll make good beer, and you won't regret the decision.

Well i don't have any supplies yet. I'm just trying to plan ahead. I guess it would be cheaper in the long run to go ahead and go with the 5 gallon recipe.

Back