grain crush/efficiency/online suppliers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTBrewer

Reaction score
I normally have efficiencies in the 75-82% range. Last week I had one that was 65 and didn't think much about it. This past weekend I had another that was even lower so I'm trying to figure out what is going poorly for me. I did use a different online supplier for these two batches, and I don't crush my own grains. I won't taint the jury with who I usually buy from and who I did the past two times...just wondering if anybody has noticed a better/inferior crush from some of the oft mentioned suppliers on this board....

Well, I used to buy my grains pre-crushed. I got 75% efficiency
Then I switched, and crushed with a Corona mill. I got 75% efficiency
Then I got a JSP roller mill. I got 75% efficiency but the milling time was much shorter
Then I started doing a mash out (fly sparging). Efficiency jumped to 85% - consistently
Perhaps I was lucky with the quality of the pre-crushed grains.

-a.

I have only used Northern Brewer for pre-crushed grains. I bought an AG kit from them and got a 79% efficiency. It looked like they did a really nice crush on the grains I bought from them.

I decided to get a barley crusher and it was delivered on Monday. I used the factory setting and got a 79% efficiency with a beer I brewed yesterday. I got the barley crusher because crush is an important factor and I didn't want to leave it in the hands of someone else...

Back