Great little place in Manchester, NH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keheal

Reaction score
This is a fun forum!!

My wife and I went to the Eastern Seaboard last fall for a friend's wedding. We're from Michigan and had never been there. We stayed near our friends' hometown in Manchester, NH. (The wedding was in Nahant, Mass - beautiful setting!) Anyhow, we get into Manchester on a Thursday night and check into the hotel. I jump online and google a place to eat and we decide on this place just a few blocks away called the Strange Brew Tavern. I can honestly say I have never had so much fun in a bar/pub! In Michigan we don't really have the pub thing - bars are bars and they mostly suck. This place was exactly how I had pictured a pub should be - discreet little building, door is in the alley, all the cliches. Anyhow, I loved it. So if you're in or around Manchester, NH - check it out!

If you've been there then please respond with stories! We had so much fun that night!

The used to have 2 dollar draft on tuesdays there when i was in college. You can beat paying 8 bucks to get wasted on dogfish head. Good beer and Good music.

Hah i spent my 21st birthday there last year. In one hour i had like 8 shots and 3 beers. On Two Dollar Tuesdays they have had to up the price to 2.50 but they have a menu of beers including Arrogant Bastard and specialty Trappist Ales! They also have live music and free popcorn. Their food is also impressive as well.

If you're in the Manchester area, I recommend going over to Murphy's Taproom and Milly's Tavern, the latter or which brews their own beer on site.

Tbulger did you go to St. A's?

The food was very, very good. I had the jumbalaya and it was excellent. Of course, anyone from 'Nawlins would probably disagree, but again - we're from MI. :p The beer list is actually online too, check out the link below:

http://www.strangebrewtavern.net/SBT/Beers.html

There's something there for everyone, and I'm saying that on a home-brewer's page! Anyone going there, enjoy! Anyone not heading there, shame! ;)

It's been quite a while since I've been to Strange Brew, but I did have a good time the few times I was there. In addition to enjoying beer, I also enjoy spicy food. I ordered some buffalo fingers and asked them to make them "melt my face" hot. The waiter checked in with me a couple of times to make sure i really wanted that, as the chef was preparing the sauce. In fact, the chef brought the order out himself, b/c he couldn't believe that someone was actually going to eat these small infernos. They were awesome! I got through half the order before I called it quits. I was so happy that a waiter finally listened to me when I asked for them particularly hot.

I also have to second the suggestion of Milly's tavern. I was just there last night, and am drinking their oatmeal stout from a growler right now (not directly from the growler). It's my favorite spot to hit in Manch-Vegas. They have around 8 always on tap beers, plus usually 4 seasonals. Happy hour on weekdays from 4-7 with 1/2 priced apps and $2 drafts. When I got married 1 1/2 years ago, we had an outdoor wedding under a huge tent, a hawaiian theme. I wanted to get a good local brew, so I picked up a keg of their porter and their mild ale. Everyone enjoyed them. Keep an eye out for the pumpkin fall seasonal. They rim the pint glass in cinnamon sugar before pouring. Yummy!

Back