Forgot to take FG before adding vanilla extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleppek

Reaction score
I was too excited to get my first keg filled today and while filling my bottling bucket with beer and 1oz of vanilla extract, I realized that I didn't take the FG before adding the vanilla. :eek: Anyone have a guess on how much this would change the reading?
I got a FG measurement of around 1.026 which seemed really high, even with the vanilla added. This was just a northern brewer cream ale kit. Had it in the primary for 11 days and 18 days in the secondary. Fermentation looked good and strong.

I guess we'll see what happens.

I was thinking the same thing. Only other reason I could think of getting that high of a FG reading would be that there was some air bubbles pushing the hygrometer upwards. There seeme to be alot of air in the bottling bucket, for some reason that I can't explain. Maybe some escaping CO2?
Anyways, I ended up bottling 12-1/2 liter bottles with 1 coopers drop each and kegged the rest. If I got the high SG reading because fermentation wasn't complete, I guess I'll find that out if the bombs go off!

FWIW, I think the OG was around 1.046. It tasted pretty good when I moved it into the keg, so maybe I'm safe.

Latest posts

Back