making your own LME or DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I want to try a hard lemonade again...Last one was not a great triumph in my brewing carer lol... The recipe want to try calls for 1 pound of DME but I have NONE and the brew store is an hour away. I have about 60 pounds of 2 row malt and plenty of time. Can I just make a small wort that is equivalent, And how would I do that if it is possible?

Mash the two row, with the above website conversion, at 1.33qt/# of grain at 155 degrees-ish water, for 60 minutes and you will have it.

You need a way to strain the grain from the wort. Look at deathbrewers stovetop mash posts.

I want to try a hard lemonade again...Last one was not a great triumph in my brewing carer lol... The recipe want to try calls for 1 pound of DME but I have NONE and the brew store is an hour away. I have about 60 pounds of 2 row malt and plenty of time. Can I just make a small wort that is equivalent, And how would I do that if it is possible?

Yeah you would just make a partial mash with the two row to get the gravity in 1lb of DME, which is about 1.7lb of 2-row at 60% effeciency. You probably won't get much higher efficiency if you do the stovetop partial mash. You want about 1.25qt of water per lb of grain so you would use about 2.125 quarts of water for this partial mash.

Back