Planned Brew Sessions That Don't Happen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzal8

Reaction score
Nothing worse than sitting at your desk on monday morning, knowing that you did not get to brew over the weekend even though you had planned on it. Last weekend I planned on Brewing a Hefewiezen to welcome in the spring. However, SWMBO had other plans. Painted the kitchen all weekend. GAG.

Hopefully, I could find a day this week to take a little time off and get the brew in.

I feel your pain. It happens to me all the time. That's pretty much why I haven't brewed in about 6 weeks...

It's a pisser when someone else's plans are the reason you can't brew. I've "deferred" many a brew session because I needed to get something else done, but the wife doesn't tell me what projects to do or when to do them.

I had also planned on brewing this week, a honey pale ale to welcome spring, but that didn't happen. Instead, I took the adventurous route and started some spontaneous kombucha Saturday morning, and its already starting to bubble. I can only hope that there's enough of an acetobacter and brett infection in it to get it right, instead of having just yeasty sweet tea, but it should work out well.

(perhaps not exactly spontaneous, with a piece of wood added that I had sitting outside for a while, but I didn't specifically add yeast or bacteria)

I know it all too well. I wanted to brew this weekend, but too many other things got in the way. I did enjoy drinking some though.

It's crazy with the Oak pollen in Austin this week. I will have to brew inside and boil near the front door under roof due to the pollen. At times, it looks like yellow snow.

EdWort said:
It's crazy with the Oak pollen in Austin this week. I will have to brew inside and boil near the front door under roof due to the pollen. At times, it looks like yellow snow.

That is why I didn't brew this weekend, even in the garage with the door open pollen was coating everything. The top of my chest freezer (all the way in the back) was yellow-green. :mad:

Happened to me, but in this case my lager batch hasn't quite finished and so SWMBO believes that I canceled a brew session to complete some stuff on the honeydo list.

I did manage to de-label about 45 gallons worth of bottles.

That works out to about:
2 cases of 12oz.
12 bombers.
12 Lambic bottles.

olllllo said:
I did manage to de-label about 45 gallons worth of bottles.

That works out to about:
2 cases of 12oz.
12 bombers.
12 Lambic bottles.

by my calculations, those lambic bottles must be about 3.2 gallons each:D

html034 said:
by my calculations, those lambic bottles must be about 3.2 gallons each:D

45 gallons is the size of my bottle depository. It's a Rubbermaid trash bin that I toss my rinsed empties into. I then fill it up with water and OXY and let it soak, usually overnight.

In this case I was able to let it soak for just a few hours and cleand them out in the warm AZ sun.

I guess at the very least I am able to bottle my Brown Porter tonight, though I still would love to have one in the carboy right now as well. Any empty fermentation room means scrounging a few weeks down the line, as well as spending money:(

I emptied my primary Friday night, but decided to wait to brew the next batch for a week. I don't have enough bottles to cover it all, nor have I started kegging. My wife is already complaining about the emptys in the house. At least she doesn't complain about all the beer, and given the cost of a six-pack of decent beer ($7-9) I actually save a bit of money (and then spend it on other equipment.)

I worked on the cool-room. Finally got the drywall in around the hole for the A/C. First can of orange peel didn't work. I ended up with a hard Silly String effect. Scrapped that off & got another can, which worked properly. The paint that was computer matched, doesn't. Close enough that if I do the whole wall, it will look like a lighting effect, maybe. Just me anyway & the greys are color-blind.

Found out one of the guys at the hardware store is at the Mr. Beer stage, so we talked a bit.

Latest posts

Back