Basement E-Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wadefisher said:
I would have some kind of screen on pickup tube or inline when using a heat exchanger. Larger particles can get lodged in them and make problems cooling and sterilizing on the following batches. Just My Opinion

I guess I am using a filter of sorts. I use a hop spider with a paint filter bag. Hops and other additions go into the bag. When cleaning up, I have never seen much in the way of particles.

What do you suggest, a bazooka?

Anything with a screen about the size of the bazooka will work. The paint filter bag is probably even finer mesh, so all the better. The problem with heat exchangers is they can get debris caught in them and then they are hard to sterilize properly. I have a blichman 'hop blocker' and the holes in it are a little too big on the top side for my comfort. I have back flushed for 15 minutes when cleaning and still able to spot small pieces of debris come out later. Before I had the 'hop blocker' I just whirl pooled and I have had enough stuff caught in it to slow down the flow. Then had to work like crazy to soak and back flush it out.
As they say, an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure.

Back