House Session Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am looking to make an inexpensive, delicious, lighter ale to brew every 2nd or 3rd time that will become my everyday house beer. Nothing fancy here at all, just cold and refreshing. No specialty grains, no yeast starters, simple ingrediants and simple ale yeast. Tell me what you think or if you have any suggestions.

Brewer: CP Email: -
Beer: Cutler Ale Style: English Pale Ale
Type: Extract Size: 5 gallons
Color: 8 HCU (~6 SRM) Bitterness: 32 IBU
OG: 1.054 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 5.4% v/v (4.3% w/w)
Boil: minutes SG 1.067 4 gallons
6 lb. Light dry malt extract
Hops: 1 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (aroma)

7 gram coopers ale yeast

I am calling it Cutler Ale...I am going to drink it while I watch the bears!
I am also considering lagering this stuff for smoothness after a week of building carbonation...maybe I will, maybe I wont. Every other batch I could add cherry juice, extra hops, honey or something to the fermenter to switch things up.

The batch will be fine, but it's more an american amber than anything else. Steep about 1# 40L @ 150°F before your boil for 20 minutes and you'll have a nice AAA.

That's my problem, I have no LHBS in my area that carries brewing grains. Locally I can get everything but them. I suppose I could just order up 10# of crystal malt, 50# DME and a few pounds of hops and brew up a bunch.

Always do some steeping grains if you can, it will add a complexity and flavor that you can't get with just extract.

That's my problem, I have no LHBS in my area that carries brewing grains. Locally I can get everything but them. I suppose I could just order up 10# of crystal malt, 50# DME and a few pounds of hops and brew up a bunch.

Your LHBS doesn't carry specialty grains? Yeah, that would be a dealbreaker for me....

Oh well, their loss....go to one of the fine online vendors here (Brewmaster's warehouse, AHS, etc) and get the ingredients when you want, delivered to your door in 1-2 days. Even with the Flat-rate shipping they offer, I have found they often times come up cheaper than the LHBS.

I'm all for spending your money with the local guy, but the local guy has to make the effort to have inventory and keep prices down. IMO.

As for the recipe, I think it will be good beer, but it will be pretty ordinary/plain/blah without any specialty grain addition. Some crystal malt would make a big difference in the final product. Otherwise, looks good!

Good luck!

I completely agree. I would like a little crystal 40 and Victory to steep..maybe a pound of each. It is so frustrating not having a good LHBS, sometimes a guy just wants to experiement with a little of this and a little of that. Tough to do online.

I completely agree. I would like a little crystal 40 and Victory to steep..maybe a pound of each. It is so frustrating not having a good LHBS, sometimes a guy just wants to experiement with a little of this and a little of that. Tough to do online.

Not tough at all to do online....just tell them what you want, drop a credit card # and its there in a day or so (maybe 3 depending on where you are relatively to them).

Brewmaster's warehouse has a brewbuilder tool on their website...you can enter your ingredient list there the first time you order and then when you want to reorder, all you have to do is click on that recipe and it is put into your cart. It would be perfect for what you are planning to do (making the same beer regularly). From there, you can throw on whatever specialty grain you are interested in experimenting with.

Back