2nd year plant sideways??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWBasementBrewer

Reaction score
So im on year two of growing hops. i have a kitchen window that bumps out with roof overhead. Maybe like 14-16 feet up. So my thought is around 12 feet or so ill tie up some rope and do a horizontal line and wrap the bine around that. Im fully aware that it will want to go toward the sun and up.

But my idea is to grow a shade canopy of hops, ive got 3 bines on the line id be using. So letting the side-arms go down and up and hoping it makes some shade haha. Does this sound fessible? I just see some cool pictures of older hops plants taking over the side of someones house.:drunk:

I've seen a lot of people that make some nice shaded areas with hops. You may need to train them along your horizontal line some though.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Yeah!

How do you plan on training the bines 12' in the air? They aren't likely to do it themselves.

I have a very tiny yard with little room to grow hops. My plan is to grow them horizontally along a fence. I've heard it can be done but i will need to train them frequently for success; which is no problem in my eyes. Has anyone out there had any luck growing them in this manner? Does anyone have any pics of what this might look like they could post? Everyone on this board seems to have awesome setups for growing hops that make me envious, but it's just not feasible for me and i need to make due with what i have.

Back