Hot vs cold for water temp prior to boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerdrop

Reaction score
Dumb question, but I'll ask it anyways. Any difference between using cold tap water vs hot to add to the boil kettle prior to brewing an extract/partial mash? I always heard that you may pick up mineral tastes from the hot water heater (gas fired in my case). Thoughts? Thanks and it's brewday today :mug:

Yeah, i've always heard the same thing. It makes sense but I wonder to what degree of increased minerals there would be considering that water is flowing through the system regularly. Seems it would be insignificant unless the hot water sat in the heater for extended periods prior to filling your kettle. I have always used direct cold water so I can't say definatively.
mark
Beer Diary...

Everyone I know says not to use the hot water heater water. I use an instant hot water heater though, so I just turn it up full and get mash water instantly.

the true question is do you have a water softener on the hot side? that is where the difference is going to be coming from.

It depends on your water and the age of your heater. I have extremely pure water and my heater is only 3 years old. Plus, the tap is about four feet from the heater, so the water doesn't pick anything up from the pipes.

For accuracy you would really need to test your water for content. A simpler less accurate but important thing would be to draw off a cup of hot water , let it cool and do a taste test between that and a cup of cold tap water. If it tastes funny or off then forget the hot water idea. Crap in/crap out theory!

I have always been told not to drink hot water from a heater, things from the element etc can seep into it a lot easier. If it tastes fine id go for it though.

Thanks guys. Since I don't have a water softener, me heater is approaching 10 years old, and I have a fair amount of pipe travel from in the house through the sink, I'll just continue with the cold water and be safe. Will try the 'heat a cup of water and compare to a cold glass' trick just for curious sake.

Cheers!

Back