drying bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After you sanitize your bottles, do you guys rinse? and if you dont have a bottle tree, do you just let them sit out in the open untill they dry, or do you just fill them up still wet inside?

Fill 'em wet! Just about every sanitizer useful to us as homebrewers are 'wet' sanitizers. As long as the surface is wet, the bugs are getting zapped.

i use starsan so i fill while still wet - i just set upside down on paper towels to drain for a few minutes.

edit: i type too slow!

I don't have a bottle tree, I just open my dishwasher, and pull out the top rack and let them drain there for about 5 minutes or so. I don't bother to let them dry, just drain for a few min.

i shouldnt fill them up with sanitizer still in the bottles tho right, like drops of sanitizer?

i shouldnt fill them up with sanitizer still in the bottles tho right, like drops of sanitizer?

What kind of sanitizer are you using? I'm a StarSan junkie- and a little in the bottle won't harm the beer. In fact, the yeast will consume the sanitizer.

Well, Easy Clean is a cleaner- not a sanitizer. You'll want to get a true no-rinse sanitizer like Iodophor or StarSan. Bleach can work, but you have to rinse the BEJEEZUS out of it....and keep a very dilute concentration.

I use my bottling tree after using StarSan, but it's mainly for organizational purposes at that point. The bottles are still wet inside when they're filled.

I use the heat cycle in my dishwasher to sanitize my bottles. Everything else gets soaked in or sprayed down with StarSan and used wet.

I have also used starsan and stacked them on a paper towel, then filled the bottles while they were still wet. No problems so far.

Starsan was certainly worth the money for me so that I don't have to worry about them drying.

I love Starsan for bottling. As the bottle fills, the foam is forced out of the neck just before the bottle gets filled, giving me advanced notice as to when to lift the bottling wand.

-a.

i took a 2 in hole saw to a piece of 1/4 in plywood then sealed it with some polyurethane. not as compact as a tree but it was free and works well. havent found a bottle shape yet that it wont support.

Just ordered some Star San, bottle caps and the Autumn Amber Ale kit from Midwest Supplies. thanks for the help guys

frank

Back