Cinnamon Honey Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evwoller

Reaction score
Today is brew day and I am contemplating throwing a tsp or so of cinnamon in somewhere close to the end of boil to add a little extra something.

9lbs 2 row
.75 chocolate
.5 carapils
1 lb clover honey at 30 minutes
1 lb clover honey at 10 minutes
1 oz magnum at 60 minutes (lhbs substituted this one on me I hope it works out well)
1-2 oz cascade at about 10 minutes (still kind of juggling the amount in my head input def welcome)

I read around a little and people were saying cinnamon in quantity can foul up a beer pretty bad. I was thinking a tsp would hopefully give it a subtle flavor and hopefully a bit of aroma.

Right now it looks like I am going to end up with a greater than 80% efficiency mashing for an hour in the low 150s and mashout sparge dunk at 167. Both being about 4 gallons of water and an hour long wait.

OG grav post boil 1.074, efficiency of 87.57%, adjusted for 2 pounds of honey, going to add the tsp of cinnamon

proud of myself

ended up putting way more hops than expected, I couldn't help myself. I love a well hopped beer. fermentation is starting to really slow down at this point.

Bought a 50 lb bag of 2 row for the first time. Made myself a grain mill. Just trying to figure out what piques my interest next.

In Dec. I made a spiced winter ale.I used 2 cinnamon sticks at 30 minutes,and then added 2 sticks in secondary.The cinnamon flavor is not overpowering but you can tell it`s there.

Stikks, did you notice increased bitterness or anything other than typical cinnamon flavor attributes come out in your brew? Astringency?

Stikks, did you notice increased bitterness or anything other than typical cinnamon flavor attributes come out in your brew? Astringency?

No, I did not notice any off flavors just a nice cinnamon flavor.I read on here somewhere to use the cinnamon fairly early in the boil for that specific reason.
And to get a more pronounced flavor use some in the secondary.

Racked this one into a secondary today, it might be a bit early but whatever. So far the only thing I can comment on is that I wish the color was a tad darker. I could just be crazy though considering that when it is in the carboy next to my IIPA it looks like it is consuming the light around it by comparison.

Back