Priming with Liqueur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with priming with liqueur? I am looking at making at chocolate cream stout and was thinking of priming with a chocolate liqueur.

Someplace (I don' remember where) I thought I read that 15 oz. of liqueur was equivalent to 3/4 cup of sugar. Sound correct?

I have read that too, although I can't find it again and I am sure the amount varies with the type of liqueur. But it is worth a try.

:off:

What recipe are you going to use for your Amber clone?

I am looking to do one.

Are you using lager yeast? An Amber clone may be my first attempt at a lager.

Don't mean to break your heart, but I will probably be trying the chocolate cream stout first (then the Abita Amber clone).

Here is the recipe I was planning on using:

8 oz. US Crystal 40L
4 oz. Munich malt
1 oz. US chocolate malt
2.25 lb American 2-Row malt
4 lb pale liquid malt extract
1/3 oz. Chinook Hops
1/4 oz. Perle Hops
1/4 oz. Crystal Hops
1 tsp. Irish Moss
1.25 cups of ultra light dry malt extract
Wyeast 2308
Water to taste

Mash all malts and specialty grains at 150F for 90 minutes.
Bring brewpot to boil
Sparge with 1/2 gallon of 150F water and add sparge water to brewpot.
Bring water to a boil, remove from the heat and add: Malt Extract Syrup, Chinook Hops and enough water to bring total volume to 2.5 gallons

Boil for 45 minutes, then add: Crystal Hops and Irish Moss
Boil for 10 minutes, then add: Perle Hops
Boil for 5 minutes, then remove brewpot from heat.

Cool wort, then strain into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5 1/8 gallons total volume.

Pitch yeast at 65F and keep at 60-62F until fermentation starts

2308 - 47-52F for 4 weeks then 57-62F for remainder of fermentation
2206 - 47-52F for entire time

Ferment 7 days or until fermentation slows
Rack and keep in secondary fermenter for 5 weeks.

Priming
1.25 cup of Light DME in two cups of boiled water

Well maybe I will have it done before you:D .

I just have to finishing assembling my lagering equipment and then it is in.

Also have to steal your recipe and convert it to all extract...or buy the clone kit from AHS.

unclesamskid said:
Must be in a popular publication.

Love your MLT, made a 5 gal. version of it. Thanks FlyGuy.

Yes, probably. It has been bugging me now that I can't locate it.

And thanks for the kind words - glad to hear that my post was helpful.

Cheers :mug:

BTW, in a home brew book I have it says a 750ml bottle of liqueur plus an ounce or two of dextrose will prime 5 gallons of beer.

lol... 750ml?? That sounds like you are making yourself a 5 gallon batch of irish car bomb, rather than straight beer!! HAHAH!

I did a little research and this it what I found:

1st, if you are using liqueur to prime with, you need to find out what the sugar content is of the liqueur. You can find this information on the internets (I found my info at Drink Mixer).

Example: DeKuyper Dark Creme de Cacao has 8g of sugar per 1 fluid ounce.​

2nd, you need to figure out how many grams of sugar you need to prime your brew.

Example: 3/4 cup of corn sugar weighs approximately 5 ounces, or 141.75 grams.​

3rd, divide the number of grams of sugar needed for priming by the grams of sugar contained in one fluid ounce of your chosen liqueur.

Example: 141.75g / 8g = 17.72 ounces​

This will tell you how big a bottle you need to buy and how much to add for priming. You may need the following addition step:

4th, convert the number of ounces of liqueur you need into milligrams (as many bottles list their volume in metric).

Example: 17.72 ounces = 524ml​

Here is the converter I used: Science Made Simple.

:mug:

I tried my Chocolate Cream Stout, primed with chocolate liqueur, yesterday...and I think I will let it sit for another month. It has a bit of a harsh aftertaste to it...possibly from the alcohol in the liqueur or possibly from the chocolate flavoring.

The stout definately has a chocolate aroma and flavor, and the carbonation is outstanding (perhaps a little too much for a stout).

Part of the problem with the after taste (and the wee bit of overcabonation) might be that I put too much liqueur in. My calculations above called for about 18 oz. of liqueur and I used about 25 oz. (one 750 mL bottle). :D

I will wait until this batch is gone before trying to prime with liqueur again. I want to see if the flavors mellow over time. If not, then I might try this again using 1/2 (12 oz.) of liqueur and making up the difference with DME or sugar.

Will post to this thread when I sample the stout again.

Just as a follow up.

I ignored my own math, see post #14, and added the entire 750 mL to the bottling bucket.

DON'T DO THIS.

The bottles are way overcarbonated. If opened at just below refridgerator temperature (50F?), you get a brown foam snake that works its way out of the bottle. When you are finally able to pour it, it is 97% head. Assuming you have the patience to wait for the head to clear (good head retention), the beer is quite good. The sweetness of the chocolate liqueur is gone and you are left with the chocolate flavor in the stout.

I'll brew this again, but next time I will definately follow my own advice.

That's interesting Homebrewing for Dummies says you can dump the whole 750ml into a 5 gallon batch no problem. They even suggest adding some corn sugar just in case there wasn't enough in the liqueur.

I think I'll try 200ml in a 3 gallon batch of chocolate stout.

That's interesting Homebrewing for Dummies says you can dump the whole 750ml into a 5 gallon batch no problem. They even suggest adding some corn sugar just in case there wasn't enough in the liqueur.

I think I'll try 200ml in a 3 gallon batch of chocolate stout.

mebbe Homebrewing for dummies should be called Homebrewing written by dummies:D

Now that you've ressurected this thread, it is up to you do to it correctly and keep us posted...I've never heard of doing this, but now I am intrigued.

I'll confess, the first HB book I bought was the "for dummies" one. It's decent if not out dated.

My intrigue with this technique is to use peach schnapps with a wheat bier, or Southern Comfort in a brown, porter, or stout... just a thought.

Schlante,
Phillip

HB for Dummies is no "How to Brew" or "Joy of Homebrewing" but it's got a lot in there about techniques and ingredients I think it's a very friendly book for anyone to get started with.

First off Im a bit of a newb at home brewing, but In my Homebrewing for Dummies book It says that a 750 mL bottle contains just about enough for a 5 gallon batch plus an ounce or two of dextrose. p87.
I was wondering if anyone out there had ever tried Kahlua as a priming agent for a stout? And if so what sort of luck they had. Or if it sounds like a totaly stupid idea let me know.

Um, does Kahlua have cream in it? I think adding fats in the cream would be a bad thing. Kill head retention and maybe other bad stuff.

From previous posts in this thread 750ml might be too much sugar for 5 gallon batch.

I would stick to corn sugar, DME, or table sugar for priming. Adding liqueur (particularly that much) is a fairly "cheap" way of imparting flavors, and is more likely to mess things up than anything else...at least from where I'm sitting. If you're feeling adventurous, use Turbinado (aka: sugar in the raw), brown sugar, molasses, or some variant of the Belgian syrup.

I've never heard of this either (course, I haven't heard of a lot of things). I'm curious now about priming my upcoming chocolate stout with something aside from the corn sugar.

Perhaps butterscotch schnapps or Bailey's. I'd hate to ruin a batch, but I'd also love to see how this would turn out.

Buttershots has 10.5g of sugar per 1 fluid ounce. So following Draconians math, I would need 141.75/10.5 = 13.5ounces = 400ml.

Perhaps I'll try this with my batch that will be ready in a couple of weeks. Prime half of it with corn sugar, and prime the other half of it with 200ml of Butterscotch Schnapps.

Will have to get permission from SWMBO first.....she'll be upset if the beer is not drinkable.

I've never heard of this either (course, I haven't heard of a lot of things). I'm curious now about priming my upcoming chocolate stout with something aside from the corn sugar.

Perhaps butterscotch schnapps or Bailey's. I'd hate to ruin a batch, but I'd also love to see how this would turn out.

Buttershots has 10.5g of sugar per 1 fluid ounce. So following Draconians math, I would need 141.75/10.5 = 13.5ounces = 400ml.

Perhaps I'll try this with my batch that will be ready in a couple of weeks. Prime half of it with corn sugar, and prime the other half of it with 200ml of Butterscotch Schnapps.

Will have to get permission from SWMBO first.....she'll be upset if the beer is not drinkable.

The only practical way to add chocolate flavor to a chocolate stout is to dissolve approximately 1 ounce of cocoa in with your priming sugar. Don't add anything with cream, fats, or any of that, (reads: Baily's) as it will ruin your brew.

The only practical way to add chocolate flavor to a chocolate stout is to dissolve approximately 1 ounce of cocoa in with your priming sugar. Don't add anything with cream, fats, or any of that, (reads: Baily's) as it will ruin your brew.

I've seen you type this before and I have to throw a bull**** flag down. Exactly how many batches of chocolate stout (or any other beer) have you brewed? I know what you are saying about cocoa is not true from personal experience.

I have to back up Nurmey on that... I don't see any reason not to add something like a cream liqueur or any other liqueur for priming.

Lipids are the cause of the foam stability problems you are talking about, and I doubt that liqueurs contain any lipids (although I'm not sure).

If you are to stick to your theory, cocoa itself would "ruin your beer" because it possesses anti foam properties. You can't make blanket statements like "this is the only way to do something". Just isn't true.

Also, what do you say to nuts, coffee, peanut butter, and any number of other ingredients that are commonly used in beer...

I think this is a really cool idea, and next time I brew a stout I will be priming a portion with some Baileys. Sounds like a good way to add a bit of flavor.

I've seen you type this before and I have to throw a bull**** flag down. Exactly how many batches of chocolate stout (or any other beer) have you brewed? I know what you are saying about cocoa is not true from personal experience.

Two chocolate stouts under my belt, both "chocolatized" the way I refer to above. Passing the potato back to you, have you ever added cocoa to a chocolate stout in the manner in which I suggest? There are a great many recipes that call for extreme amounts of cocoa or bar chocolate in the boil, which I'm assuming is the direction you go with a chocolate stout. I'm not saying this doesn't work, but it's unnecessary and wasteful, almost as superfluous as adding fruit to the boil. I've gotten this information directly from brewers at Young's and Austin Homebrew. Just type "cocoa" into a search at Austin Homebrew to see what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying your methods don't work, but I know what I'm doing is a very efficient way of arriving at chocolaty ends. Adding 10, 20, even 30 ounces of cocoa to the boil is just silly given the fact that most of it is going to fall out of suspension before enough alcohol is generated to keep it in solution, not to mention leaving you with an ungodly mess in the primary. And that mess is left behind precisely because most of those gobs of cocoa have precipitated out.

Think about it for a moment: hot cocoa is about 30% cocoa and 70% sugar and other stuff. There's about 4 tablespoons of total volume in an average packet, so roughly 1 tablespoon cocoa per serving of hot cocoa (and keep in mind, this is basically a liquid chocolate drink). An ounce of dutched cocoa has about 5ish tablespoons in it. You can pretty much do the math from here (ie: about a third teaspoon per beer in a five gallon batch). An ounce of pure, unsweetened cocoa is A LOT to be adding to a brew, in other words (assuming one adds it at bottling, when it will be dissolved as opposed to suspended). If one is looking for a real chocolate bomb, up to perhaps 2 ounces can be added per 5 gallons -- but keep in mind, most good chocolate brews don't have an overwhelming or overt chocolate flavor. Rather, it's in the nose and on the upper palate, and works with the dark grains, as opposed to superseding them. The most chocolaty brew I can recall having is the Rouge chocolate stout, which flirts with the line between a lot of chocolate flavor, and too much.

Nurmey, it seems you've been around these parts for a while, and I'm not trying to throw mud or any of that. Getting into forum tit-for-tats is not my style at all. I'm sure you've done a large number of brews, and have way more overall experience than I do, but from day one a solid chocolate stout was almost an obsession of mine -- and I've successfully brewed up a clone to Young's DC (thanks to the brewers there), and a Chocolate Raspberry Stout based loosely upon the same recipe (which, again, turned out great the first time I gave it the go). I'm not saying I'm the chocolate stout expert, but I can say that my experience, and the experience of the folks at Young's and AHS, dictates a small amount of cocoa or essence at bottling/kegging -- not overload in the boil.

Boerderij Kabouter: Bailys is heavy cream my man. Lipids galore. Same thing with Kaluah, which is another one suggested above. A lot of liqueurs have a fair amount of heavy cream or other fats added for body and flavor...

...I wasn't saying they would ruin a beer in the sense of foam retention or this or that, but in terms of flavors. I can't imagine any 5 gallon batch being good after having 750ml of any liqueur dumped into it. Someone above was talking about dumping Southern Comfort into a beer...no offense to whomever suggested it, but that thought literally makes me shudder. I'm sure there are exceptions -- and I can almost guarantee someone is waiting in the wings to point out an award winning example -- but still. And sure, cocoa has some of the same negative impacts, which is another reason I'm advocating a small amount added at bottling as opposed to the pound plus quantities some recipes push.

Ultimately, I'm just trying to help folks out and let them know what works for me. If you guys want to be so bold as to call BS, well, that's your prerogative I suppose. Healthy discussion is what keeps these boards going. But take a moment and consider what I'm saying, and what I'm trying to do.

Okay...So, back on topic...

Today, I took 3 gallons of milk stout out of the secondary (it was mellowing with a vanilla bean for about a week) and bottled with 250 ml of Hiram Walker Creme De Cacao.

Took a taste and it was fabulous. Chocolaty, roasty, goodness. I'll post back about carbonation and how it tastes in a week or two.

I was worried about a "fake" chocolate taste from the liqueur but the taste was smooth and rich; a great pair with the stout and vanilla flavors.

Back