Partial Mash Oatmeal Stout - Recipe & Process Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axr

Reaction score
Hey Homebrewers-

This is my first partial mash and I'm pretty amped to be progressing towards AG brews. I'd like to get some input on this recipe from those familiar with the PM process and from those who have made Oatmeal Stouts. Really interested in getting input on the mash process. I'm using BeerSmith software to calculate. In addition, using a 5 gal coleman cooler as a mash tun with copper manifold.

Thanks in advance,
axr

Here it is:

Ingredients:
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs 8.0 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 54.11 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 12.06 %
1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.03 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 9.06 %
12.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.01 %
5.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 3.74 %
0.97 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.8 IBU
0.97 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) [Starter 1500 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile:
Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.99%
Bitterness: 32.0 IBU Est Color: 35.0 SRM

Mash: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain: 3.81 lb
Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 5.49 qt of water at 163.3 F 153.0 F
15 min Mash Out Add 4.00 qt of water at 196.3 F 170.0 F
0 min Mash Out Add 4.00 qt of water at 170.0 F 170.0 F

I'd suggest using specialty malts and base malt in a 1:1 ratio. So, for every pound of specialty grains, use a pound of 2-row. 1 pound in a PM just isn't enough. You can drop a little of the DME, to get the same OG with only 1 pound of base malt.

Also, oats may take a little longer to convert, so you can mash for 75 minutes to ensure more complete conversion.

I'd suggest using specialty malts and base malt in a 1:1 ratio. So, for every pound of specialty grains, use a pound of 2-row. 1 pound in a PM just isn't enough. You can drop a little of the DME, to get the same OG with only 1 pound of base malt.

Also, oats may take a little longer to convert, so you can mash for 75 minutes to ensure more complete conversion.

Thanks for the advice Yooper. I made the corrections and all my numbers hit. The oats I'm using are flaked and it is my understanding that they were already gelantized(?) so that the conversion would be easier. Is this not the case, in your experience?

axr

Thanks for the advice Yooper. I made the corrections and all my numbers hit. The oats I'm using are flaked and it is my understanding that they were already gelantized(?) so that the conversion would be easier. Is this not the case, in your experience?

axr

You're correct. They have to be gelatinized before using- either by cooking them or using flaked oats. That's the right thing, so don't worry. It can just take a little longer to convert adjuncts like oats, while plain ole 2-row can convert in as quick as 20 minutes sometimes! Mashing for 75 minutes (instead of the standard 60) just ensure the oats have plenty of time to convert, if you're not doing an iodine test.

You're correct. They have to be gelatinized before using- either by cooking them or using flaked oats. That's the right thing, so don't worry. It can just take a little longer to convert adjuncts like oats, while plain ole 2-row can convert in as quick as 20 minutes sometimes! Mashing for 75 minutes (instead of the standard 60) just ensure the oats have plenty of time to convert, if you're not doing an iodine test.

I was planning on performing the iodine/iodophor test anyway so I'll be checking at the 45 & 60 minute marks. I'll go longer until I have conversion.

I'd suggest using specialty malts and base malt in a 1:1 ratio. So, for every pound of specialty grains, use a pound of 2-row. 1 pound in a PM just isn't enough.

Since most of the grains don't need to be converted (caramel, chocolate, rb) wouldn't a pound of 2-row be sufficient to convert itself and the flaked oats?

Latest posts

Back