Dual use ranco controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmwood

Reaction score
I am boing to build an e-HERMS/BK setup in my basement. I got to looking at the Ranco 2 stage controllers and began wondering if it would be possible to wire one of these up to control the HLT on the heating side while controlling a fermentation chiller on the cooling side. Even if you could only run the chiller when you weren't running the HLT. Would this be worthwhile or would I be better off buying 2 single stage controllers?

Two stage Ranco controller has a out 10 amps max current thu it. You could not use it in HLT. Not enough power Scotty :)

Two stage Ranco works well for fermentation chamber.

Thanks for the input. I understand the power restrictions. On the HLT side it would be used to switch a relay that could handle the power. I guess my question is, could it receive 2 separate temperature inputs and control them both independently?

Thanks for the input. I understand the power restrictions. On the HLT side it would be used to switch a relay that could handle the power. I guess my question is, could it receive 2 separate temperature inputs and control them both independently?

Sure! The best way IMHO is to convert the Ranco to have a removable probe. It's very simple, just open it up, cut the probe wires and solder them to a panel mount jack, then solder a plug to the probe wires. This way you can have a probe dedicated to what ever you intend to control. The probe for a Ranco is a thermistor and its accuracy will not be affected by the jack.

You can move the probe between applications, but sometimes it's simpler to just leave a probe at a particular application or device and just move the controller.

I sell stainless steel probes for Ranco controllers should you want a second (or third or fourth) probe...

Temperature Probes for Ranco, LOVE, BCS-460 & BrewTroller Temperature Controllers

Unlike Derrin my answer is no. You can not control two different temp sensors with diferent temp at the same time.

All that said Derrin is right that you can flip in between the probes.

You also could connect two probes to the two temp points (like two fermenters). If you let say set Ranco Controller to cool at 68 and one fermenter is at 68 and the other is at 72, Ranco will start cooling regardless of the first probe.

I guess my question is, could it receive 2 separate temperature inputs and control them both independently?
There is LOVE controller that you could have two different probes and control them independently but I do not know the model.

Two stage Ranco controller has a out 10 amps max current thu it. You could not use it in HLT. Not enough power Scotty :)

Two stage Ranco works well for fermentation chamber.

That's not true. While you can not use the contacts in the controller directly he could use the contacts to controll a higher current capacity relay. I chose a relay with a 120 VAC coil. However, you do need separate probes that the controller can read simultaneously. The Honeywell T775B temperature may do the trick for you.

relay.jpg

Unlike Derrin my answer is no. You can not control two different temp sensors with diferent temp at the same time.

All that said Derrin is right that you can flip in between the probes.

You also could connect two probes to the two temp points (like two fermenters). If you let say set Ranco Controller to cool at 68 and one fermenter is at 68 and the other is at 72, Ranco will start cooling regardless of the first probe.

There is LOVE controller that you could have two different probes and control them independently but I do not know the model.

oops!!! I do stand corrected! I didn't read that right the first time and focused on the power issue which he said he'd use an external relay. The Ranco controller will not read two independent sensors at the same time.

You can use a group of 4 to average temps across an area by wiring them in series and parallel but that's a different situation.

Thanks for keeping me straight on this one Monk.

rmwood: In addition to that LOVE controller, you might want to take a look at the BCS-460 from Embedded Control Concepts. It will handle 4 truly separate processes. It does require external relays.

Back