Bubbling rates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfSudz

Reaction score
I've been looking at my airlock, and an hour ago it would bubble every 1.5 seconds, half hour ago it would bubble every 1 second, and now its rolling at every .5 seconds.

Just cooked up the batch today, but its my second time brewing, and I'm wondering what the warning signs are that you might need some more fermcap?

Your beer is ok, I would recommend leaving it alone. Why would you add fermcap?

There are no "warning signs", you're having a normal healthy fermentation. If it gets to the point that the airlock is clogging with krausen then install a blow off tube.

Your beer is ok, I would recommend leaving it alone. Why would you add fermcap?

Well i put a little in before boil, and a drop or two into the primary when i got the wort into that. Just going on the advice of a friend who has been brewing for about 8 years or so.

Anyways, sounds like I'm good to go. Thanks guys

I've been looking at my airlock, and an hour ago it would bubble every 1.5 seconds, half hour ago it would bubble every 1 second, and now its rolling at every .5 seconds.

Just cooked up the batch today, but its my second time brewing, and I'm wondering what the warning signs are that you might need some more fermcap?

Wait until the bubbles roll every .3 seconds. Once they do, take note of the time and jot it down on a piece of paper. Put the paper in your pocket and go outside. Outside, begin to dance beneath the sky for 8 to 12 minutes. Then, return to the airlock and sit before in, lotus style. You must stare at the bubbles until it begins rolling every .28 seconds and only then can you start chanting the sacred brew texts. If you do that, you might be ok. Otherwise please, forget about it.

Seriously though.. just give it a week or so and check in then.

Back