American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a PM version of this and love it. Fiance loves it. Soon to be father in law loves it. My uncle hates it. (Natty light drinker!).

I did forget to dry-hop it though. I'll try that next time.

Brewed a PM version of this and love it. Fiance loves it. Soon to be father in law loves it. My uncle hates it. (Natty light drinker!).

I did forget to dry-hop it though. I'll try that next time.

Solid! Sounds like your new mission is to convert Uncle Natty.

Hi all,

I kegged 2 beers today. One was the Orange Cascade. It looked crystal clear in the hydrometer cylinder. I don't recall that happening before. (This is my second batch.) I didn't use the secondary fermentation, so hopefully I didn't get too much gunk in the keg. Should be great. Other different things I do: I hop in the keg; I use speiss for carbonation. I like the head better and it saves on CO2. Also makes me feel like I have a British real ale style.

I stopped reading this thread as soon as I saw a pic with a magazine featuring Oprah on the cover(first post)... just doesn't seem right no matter how good the bier is or how many post the thread has! :)

Schlante,
Phillip

what is speiss? Never heard of it

You save some wort from brewday and add it back to carb when bottling/kegging, rather than corn sugar or force carbing.

I stopped reading this thread as soon as I saw a pic with a magazine featuring Oprah on the cover(first post)... just doesn't seem right no matter how good the bier is or how many post the thread has! :)

Schlante,
Phillip

What can I say, the wife reads Oprah while drinking.

You save some wort from brewday and add it back to carb when bottling/kegging, rather than corn sugar or force carbing.
QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. My spelling was off. It should be spelled SPEISE.

this is going to be the best beer ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

patiently waiting for her to clean up a bit in the secondary and then off to the old kegerator. every sample thus far tasted delicious!

This beer is getting the honor of being the first recipe I will brew again (I've been brewing less then a year, made some other great recipes I will brew again, just still more interested in trying new brews). It was incredibly sad watching the keg spit the last bit of foam yesterday. But I had left exactly enough for the 3 bottles I need to enter it in a competition next month. Everyone has liked this one, one friend said of it "I'd definitely buy that [if it were available at the store]."

I did not dry hop, i added the dry hop cascades at whirlpool. Probably will try dry hop this next time. The head was not too long lasting, may add something to help that out, maybe not. I used Brewer's Garden dry orange peel from the LHBS. The orange flavor was pretty good, not a whole lot of aroma. I think I'll add some fresh zest in the keg, in addition to the dry added to the end of the boil, this next go round.

On Competition; I am still not sure what category to enter this as. I kinda hate to throw it in the catch all 23/Specialty but i think the coriander keeps it out of fruit beer. Maybe spice/herb? I have never entered in a competition before and know very little so advice would really help...

Mmmm. Last night I found a 1 1/2 year old bottle of this hidden away. Drinking it right now. The cap just said "PA," but when I popped the cap the orange aroma smacked me in the face. I then remember what beer it was. A nice surprise. Smooth mellow orange flavor. I forgot how delicious this beer is. Prost. :mug:

Hi,

I sampled this 2 X's today it was so good. The first time it was cloudy and the second time it was clear. I've been keeping it in my office as I use speise and was getting it to carbonate in the keg the last 8 days or so. When I sample, I use a chilled glass to get the temp down a bit. I decided to stick it in the kegerator due to it getting clear today.

That brought up a question in my mind. Do you have a preferred serving temperature? My wife tends to like my ales colder and I tend to go warmer. Right now I put my 2 kegs in the kegerator at 55F, but I'll probably cool it down a bit from there.

That brought up a question in my mind. Do you have a preferred serving temperature? My wife tends to like my ales colder and I tend to go warmer. Right now I put my 2 kegs in the kegerator at 55F, but I'll probably cool it down a bit from there.

I'd say it's all personal preference. I don't manage my kegerator's temperature, in fact I have no idea what it is. I'd say it's on the cooler side. You'll definitely find that the beer opens up as it warms.

I have two yeast choices if I am going to brew this tonight. Danstar Nottingham or Windsor - I would think the Windsor would be more suited for this type or beer. Any advice is appreciated.

I am doing the partial mash, but don`t have any access to Vienna Malt. I was going to just replace it with more Crystal.... any thoughts on that? Or is it best to just leave the Crystal at 1pound and leave the Vienna out? what does the Vienna add to this brew .. could I substitute something?

I did a Marris Otter/Cascades SMaSH right after this brew and they were amazingly similar, at least the malt profile anyway. You'll still have a great brew if you can't get the vienna. I'd sub either more crystal or more MO.

Edit: Just saw that your doing PM. I'd probably add in some MO, and maybe a little more crystal then called for. Then just adjust the OG to give you something you like. This was really good at just over 6% ABV, but would be good with either more or less IMHO. Just depends on personal preference. And i don't have any experience with Windsor, but I'd say go w/ what you have on hand, i know nottingham turned out great.

Edit 2: Keg Temp... I keep my keezer around 42F for everything. I found it a good temp for this beer, and it tastes great as it warms. This is definitely a refreshing beer. I think this one is pretty flexible with the temp, more so than many other beers.

I did a Marris Otter/Cascades SMaSH right after this brew and they were amazingly similar, at least the malt profile anyway. You'll still have a great brew if you can't get the vienna. I'd sub either more crystal or more MO.

Edit: Just saw that your doing PM. I'd probably add in some MO, and maybe a little more crystal then called for. Then just adjust the OG to give you something you like. This was really good at just over 6% ABV, but would be good with either more or less IMHO. Just depends on personal preference. And i don't have any experience with Windsor, but I'd say go w/ what you have on hand, i know nottingham turned out great.

Edit 2: Keg Temp... I keep my keezer around 42F for everything. I found it a good temp for this beer, and it tastes great as it warms. This is definitely a refreshing beer. I think this one is pretty flexible with the temp, more so than many other beers.
Ok Thanks. I think I will go with 2lbs of Caramel.

and you say you used Nottingham for this one and it worked well? That about seals it for me.

So far I have used a Mauri Ale yeast for all my brews, but I wont be in the area of that particular home brew shop today. So my choices are Windsor or Nottingham. - Nottingham it is.

now if I can get out of this office in time to make it to the home brew shop by 5:30!

Sorry, just realized i was thinking of another brew, this one was S04. Can't speak on nottingham from experience on this recipe but i would think it would work great, as it has on other brews for me. The SMaSH was WLP007.

Thanks Eric, I'm guessing the smoothness of the FWH would give it a big potential temperature range.

Well I just transfered this recipe to secondary. The taste was amazing. Best tasting beer out of primary I have made. SWMBO brought me back to earth and said there is lots of time for the taste to change. I didn't bother explaining it being a lighter hoppier beer and needing to be drank before the flavor disappeared. This beer is not going to last long once I bottle it.

Well I just transfered this recipe to secondary. The taste was amazing. Best tasting beer out of primary I have made. SWMBO brought me back to earth and said there is lots of time for the taste to change. I didn't bother explaining it being a lighter hoppier beer and needing to be drank before the flavor disappeared. This beer is not going to last long once I bottle it.

Sounds like you'd better drink it fast before she gets a taste!

ANOTHER STELLAR BREW! 30 gallons of this brew made so far.........I changed things up a bit and added 8 oz of fresh orange zest at the 1 hour boil and it worked fabulously....everything else was exactly as prescribed in blacklabs recipe. IT IS THE BEST and only gets better as it sits. I allow it to sit in my fermenter for 18 days @ 68 and 3 days @ 35 then to the cornies it goes. I think I am done experimenting with the orange zest and will leave it as is....8 oz is perfect!

Blacklab........dude you are my idol. Everyone that tries this beer says it is the most refreshing and best tasting beer they have ever had.

Thanks again
Joe

ii brewed this back in april and loved it so much. im definately going to make it again soon. I just bought ingredients to make anderson valleys summer solstice and am having second thoughts on it. that recipe calls for 2 row and crystal 40 and crystal 80. i was thinking of making this orange pale ale with the 2row and crystal 40. how comparable is 2row to maris otter? i think it would work with minimal differences in flavor. thoughts?

ii brewed this back in april and loved it so much. im definately going to make it again soon. I just bought ingredients to make anderson valleys summer solstice and am having second thoughts on it. that recipe calls for 2 row and crystal 40 and crystal 80. i was thinking of making this orange pale ale with the 2row and crystal 40. how comparable is 2row to maris otter? i think it would work with minimal differences in flavor. thoughts?

Yeah, probably minimal differences. You could probably tell the difference if they were side by side. Go with the generic 2 row and 1/2 lb of 40L.

More thanks for this recipe blacklab! My first batch was one of my favorites so far, and my second batch is fermenting now.:mug:

I've been drinking mine for a couple weeks now - it's a good summer beer in this ridiculously hot weather. The orange additions are just right, notable without overpowering the beer. Next time I might put some wrinkles on the flavor/aroma/dry hop additions for some added complexity and variety as I've done a lot of cascade beers.

I'll be brewing this one again next month to enjoy as an end of summer brew. I brewed it last December and enjoyed it all through March. Thanks Blacklab!

Just tapped this keg on Saturday and have already gotten RAVE reviews on it...and I love it myself. One of the guys that tasted it has judged (and won) various contests in the Northeast and basically said "make it again b/c it's that good". Thanks man!!

I cleaned out my keg that had this in it last Saturday. I hop in the keg and the hop bag smelled wonderful. Of course, I use my home grown Cascades.

I cleaned out my keg that had this in it last Saturday. I hop in the keg and the hop bag smelled wonderful. Of course, I use my home grown Cascades.

I hope you squeezed the hop bag into a glass...that's what I do!

hope you squeezed the hop bag into a glass...that's what I do!

Never thought of doing that......hmmmmmmmmmmm

Back