Cloudy wort using honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
I just started a batch of Rocky Raccoon's Crystal Honey Lager and after the boil i noticed the Wort was cloudy. This all before adding yeast. I had sanitized everything with Sparkle Brite, let sit for a few minutes as instructed, and rinsed twice. I used 2 1/2 lbs light honey, and 3 1/2 lbs light hopped malt in 1 1/2 gallons water boiled for 1 hour .I added the 1/2 Oz of Cascade Hops pellets in a teaball for the last 4 minutes of the boil. When pouring into fermenter i noticed the wort was cloudy. Looked like small white clouds floating through the wort.
Anyone have any suggestions, or have had similar results? I'd love to know. Was wondering if it had something to do with boiling the honey or something else. Think it may clear up after fermenting?

That sounds pretty normal to me. The cloudiness comes, mostly, from residual proteins in the wort and will fall out of solution during primary and secondary (if used.)

Back