Racking to Secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhdfj2

Reaction score
I was wondering if it was alright to rack to my secondary even if my final gravity was still a little high? It has been in the fermenter for exactly a week now. I know that my FG will come down a bit in the secondary but I was still wondering if this was alright? Thanks in advance for all the help.

I'd give it another week. It won't hurt and you don't want to rack until the gravity hasn't changed for a few days.

Thanks Professor Frink, so once the FG is steady I should go to the secondary? I was just thinking of the 1-2-3 method. Thanks for all the help.

So I just opened my fermenter to check my gravity and this is what it looked like. My gravity is now down to 1.011, where it should be. But what is this crap floating in my wort? Thanks for all the help guys. So I can't get this picture to post using flickr, not sure if I'm doing it right.

Yup, that looks perfectly normal. If your expected final gravity is 1.011, go ahead and rack it to secondary. The 1-2-3 method is a good guideline, but every beer is different and some take longer to ferment.

Back