Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be making a 5 gallon batch of this tomorrow morning but will be adding 3#'s of Maracuya(Yellow passion fruit) puree in secondary for 14 days. Will let you guys know how this turns out.

I may be wrong on this. But I think you should have your blow off bucket below or at least on the same level as the fermentor. I think you would stand a chance of siphoning out of the blow off bucket back into the fermentor the way it is shown in post 1914.

I may be wrong on this. But I think you should have your blow off bucket below or at least on the same level as the fermentor. I think you would stand a chance of siphoning out of the blow off bucket back into the fermentor the way it is shown in post 1914.

That is a good point and something to watch out for, but with those tubes, it would have to siphon 14 to 18 inch up to get over the highest part of the tube. But that is a good idea. s

Great recipe! I just kegged my 2nd batch, my wife drank the 1st batch and she really doesn't care for beer that much it is that smooth

You might want to hydrate and pitch a packet of US-05 or S-04 to get things moving; the longer the delay the greater the risk of a rouge bacteria or yeast taking over. What was your original gravity?

ETA:

If this is the same batch that you needed a blow-off tube on, you're done and need to buy a hydrometer. Did you hit your mash temperature? Assuming a OG of 10 Br (1.040 SG) and your current 8 Br measurement, you have come down to about 1.026 using Northern Brewer's Calculator. This is an okay way to measure FG, but the only accurate way will be with a hydrometer. If you've already fermented some, I'd try a hydrated packet of S-04 to get things going again. You can also rack to a secondary vessel and bring the carboy to a warmer area if the fermentation temperature was too low to wake up the yeast. I ferment most batches with US-05 at a controlled 65 degrees. I've read that Beano can do wonders on a stalled fermentation but the OG on this beer is really low and yeast stalling out shouldn't be an issue.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/refractometer-calculator/

I did a little experiment to see how fast I could brew this using the BIAB method. I did a 40 minute mash and a 40 minute boil, and from start to finish it took about 2.5 hours. I kegged it last week and it tasted similar to my previous efforts. If it turns out, this will be a quick session beer when I'm squeezed for time. Thanks again BierMuncher.

Huzzah! After a few weeks in the keg, it has matured incredibly. Nice white, two-finger cloud-like head and the flavor has really smoothed out. I really gave up on it two weeks ago but it was amazing last night with a seafood boil. SWMBO kept drinking my pints throughout dinner :D

This will definitely be on my tap rotation -- I'll maybe boost the ABV to 6% but other than that -- great recipe.

Huzzah! After a few weeks in the keg, it has matured incredibly. Nice white, two-finger cloud-like head and the flavor has really smoothed out. I really gave up on it two weeks ago but it was amazing last night with a seafood boil. SWMBO kept drinking my pints throughout dinner :D

This will definitely be on my tap rotation -- I'll maybe boost the ABV to 6% but other than that -- great recipe.

My experience has been exactly the same. I fermented for three weeks and then bottled. I drank the first one at a week and it was a bit rough from the hops and grainy tasting. This is obviously way too early to drink a beer but I like to witness the coming of a beer. It was pretty good by week two and came into its own by week three with the hops becoming much more balanced and the head starting to form. I just had my last one which was around 12 weeks old (9 in the bottle) and it was heavenly with pillowing head and great lager-like smoothness. The hoppiness had subsided some though by this point so weeks 4-6 in the bottle were the best by far. The only thing that would probably make it better is building water to suite the style versus using my tap water which is a little hard for the ingredients.

word

this makes me happy. To hear (the last 2 posts)

I tried my first one at 4 days bottled. I have issues I know.......
But it was good slightly carbed but bitter. Hopefully I can wait another 2 weeks before I try it again

Just mashed in on this, with a few changes.
My LHBS had local Colorado Pale Malt, so I picked that up, and at 5 mins I'm adding
1oz bitter orange
1oz Black Pepper
1oz Coriander Seed

for a Colorado Summer Blonde

I have jumped on the bandwagon, and am currently brewing this as my first all grain. Cannot wait to see how it turns out!

Thanks BM! :mug:

I have jumped on the bandwagon, and am currently brewing this as my first all grain. Cannot wait to see how it turns out!

Thanks BM! :mug:

Me too! First AG, first BIAB, and first use of homemade hop spider and keggle! And I am doing it in Portland on what will be our first 70F day this year. It is a good day.

One of my favorite brew I have made. Was nervous through the fermentation. Didn't taste great.
So I dry hopped with cascade and cenn. After one week bottled. Wow its awesome.

I'm drinking an extract version, and it's exactly as I hoped it would be.
Brewed on 4/11/12, fermented at mid-60's. Kegged 4/20. It's still hazy and the carbonation needs to be adjusted, but I'm definitely going to be keeping some on hand regularly for myself and guests who like the milder commercial beers :). It's going to be perfect for summer!

I'm brewing the extract version right now for my dad's retirement party in June. Hoping to impress a lot of BMC/Yuengling drinkers with this one.

I happened upon a Popular Mechanics list of the top 10 homebrew recipes article last night and sure enough this recipe was on it. It's probably already been mentioned in the many pages of this thread, but its great that this recipe has gotten recognition outside this forum. Cant wait to try my batch!

Has anyone used citra and orange zest in this recipe? How did it turn out? How many oranges?

Hey guys. I just started gathering my ingredients for my second batch and screwed up while at the LBHS. I picked up .50# of cara-vienna instead of just vienna. Do you think I should pick up another .50# of vienna and maybe add some more 2-row? Should I just say "screw it" and brew it anyways with what i have?

Hey guys. I just started gathering my ingredients for my second batch and screwed up while at the LBHS. I picked up .50# of cara-vienna instead of just vienna. Do you think I should pick up another .50# of vienna and maybe add some more 2-row? Should I just say "screw it" and brew it anyways with what i have?

CaraVienne is just caramelized vienne malt. I plugged it into HopVille and it darkened the color ever so slightly. I'd expect more caramel/sweetness but just a touch. I'd say go for it!

I modified this a bit for an APA..

18.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.22 %
2.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.89 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.44 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4.44 %
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.5 IBU
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
2 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

This is my first all grain. Everything seemed to go pretty good. Just racked to the secondary. It's very cloudy. Just wanted people's thought on it.

image-2577339849.jpg

Brewing this on Saturday morning. Can't wait....about 8 batches of all grain under my belt and I'm slowly getting better. This will be a great summer drinker!

Great recipe! I had my first bottle the other day at about 2.5 weeks. Nice hop bite with a light body. This will be perfect when the weather heats up. I'm going to wait another couple weeks before I drink anymore as I think it will smooth out. By the way, I dry hopped for a few days with some leftover cascade & centennial. Adds a nice aroma.

Back