Yeast washing heretic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansasbrew

Reaction score
Okay, so I have used the yeast washing sticky before and it has worked for me. That said, I recently posted the question about whether some yeast drops to the bottom first. I think the upshot of that was that some yeasts are denser and drop much more quickly.

Today I am doing a starter from that yeast and I notice that the Notty I'm using drops in seconds to the bottom of the flask when I turn off my stir plate. It appears to be very heavy.

So, my heresy is this. I'm questioning the washing method (at least as a universal method for all yeast strains). I didn't have much yeast after washing. I used three washes of twenty minutes each. But now I realize that if the yeast is as heavy as I think, I probably lost most of it at the bottom of each jar, because it dropped quickly out of suspension.

If this is the case, then I'd almost have to do the exact reverse of the sticky on yeast washing. If the yeast is extremely dense, I'd almost have to pour off the liquid and retain what's on the bottom.

Maybe it would be good to do a first wash in a large jar and let it settle out--then take a sanitized spoon and scoop off the trub from off the yeast. Not really sure. Maybe I'm as dense as a pile of Notty, but I'm open to correction.

Latest posts

Back