Pipeline help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salamander

Reaction score
What would be your process? I have a 6.5 carboy, 6.5 fermentation bucket, 5 gallon better bottle, and two 5 gallon corny kegs. Stout in one, APA in the other. Grandfather's prohibition wheat recipe in the bucket for seven days. I don't like to bottle! Either I have to much, not a bad thing, or beer lag. Your responses are much appreciated in advance. I've only been brewing for a short time.

I have not used a secondary for quite some time, but if I were in your situation and ready to brew I would suggest using what ever 6.5 gallon vessel that is empty. It looks like you may have to drink faster or invest in another keg or two.

Not sure what kind of advice you are looking for. How fast does the stuff disappear? That will determine a lot of the answers.

If you are making faster than drinking it, you could make something that needs some aging - a RIS, or barleywine, for example. Or, you could store some of it at my house.

If you are making faster than drinking it, you could make something that needs some aging - a RIS, or barleywine, for example.

This is what I'm doing. I have so much beer right now I'm considering having a party just to clear some of it out. I made a 1.093 RIS and a 1.090 Belgian Dark Strong in the last ten days... they're going to be in secondary for at least 6 months in the former case and at least 9 months in the latter.

Downside for both of us, however, is that it means more carboys or kegs for sure. kegconnection was selling pin locks pretty cheap last time I looked.

i think the simplest way to keep the line flowing is to brew more beer. you have 2 vessels that can primary a 5 gal batch and one that can be a primary for a 4 gal batch. you also have kegs and vessels that can serve as secondaries if you need one. i also prefer not to bottle beer, but i only have two kegs, so i bottle around 2/3's of the beer i brew. i try to keep two or three batches fermenting (2 6.5gal carboys, 1 5 gal carboy & 2 6.5 gal buckets). if i empty a keg and have a beer ready, it's kegged. if a brew finishes up and i don't have keg space, i bottle. i brew pretty much whenever i have a 6.5 carboy available and often use one of my buckets to ferment in. if anything, i have more beer waiting to be packaged.

Thanks for your input. It appears I need a more consistent consumption pattern and secondary on occasion in the keg.

Latest posts

Back