0-30 PSI burner VS 20 PSI w/ "brass control valve"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmhart

Reaction score
I need to replace the regulator on my old propane burner.

I'm looking at either a 0-30 PSI regulator with the only adjustment being with the pressure

or

A fixed 20 psi regulator with the bayou "brass control valve"

I'm leaning towards the 0-30 psi adjustable regulator, but my concern is that it won't allow enough control to regulate mash temps.

So, thoughts?

Why wouldn't it? It's 0-30psi and likely guaged to read what the actual PSI is at the point you have it set.

The only caveat, while 30 psi does allow for some wicked fast boil up times it also blazes through gas FAST.

Most burners can't handle even 20 psi, much less 30. IMO, you'd be better off with a 0-15 psi adjustable pressure regulator. It will be less touchy when making fine adjustments. My SQ-14 uses a 0-10 psi adjustable reg and I only very rarely find it necessary to run it wide open. What kind of burner do you have?

OK, good luck with it then.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I had a tone....just letting you know that was something I already had decided on. The current burner is old and nearly rusted out, so even if it could have handled 20 psi to begin with, it might not now.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I had a tone....just letting you know that was something I already had decided on. The current burner is old and nearly rusted out, so even if it could have handled 20 psi to begin with, it might not now.

I understand and it's OK. Web communications can be like that at times. My point was mostly that the wide range adjustable regulators can sometimes be difficult to fine tune for precise flame control and the high pressure end of the range is seldom of any use unless you have a particularly hefty burner that guzzles a lot of fuel. A 0-15 should give you the best of both worlds with the ability to make fine adjustments and also fairly high pressure if and when you might need it.

A little off topic, but I think you might find it more difficult than expected to control the mash temps with a direct fired MT if you operate the burner manually. I tried that when initially experimenting with my RIMS and found it to be a major PIA. I eventually automated the burner with a solenoid valve and a temperature controller and it's working well for me. IOW, turning the burner on and off for short bursts of heat worked better than constantly making adjustments to the burner flame level. Seriously though, good luck with your system. Post back with updates when you get rolling.

Back