YEAST = flavor, but color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alz28

Reaction score
Did two 10 gallon batches of Wit two Sundays ago and I just racked all 20 gallons into the secondarys. What I did was split the first 10 gallons into two seperate five gallon fermenting buckets and added two diffrent yeast to them. I did the same with my next ten gallon batch with the same two yeast strains. When I racked them tonight the first two batches that had White Labs Belgian Wit Ale WLP400 (washed from a previous batch) had a cloudy but light color to it. Now keep in mind that the two five gallon batches that had the White Labs yeast in it came from two seperate brew sessions with the same recipe but they both had the same cloudyness and light color. The next two I racked into the secondary were from the same two ten gallon batches mentioned above and I used washed from a previous batch Wyeast 1099 Whitbread and it was darker in color and not as cloudy. The reason I did this was to show people the role yeast plays in flavoring the beer. So I put two diffrent yeast in the same split up batch of beer, but I didn't know that color would play a role. Just thought I would pass on to you fellas what I learned tonight. Is this normal or is it from washing my yeast from darker color batches of brew?

Probably the difference is due to the amount of yeast still suspended in the beers. More yeast = cloudier and lighter. I suspect if you filtered a pint of each, they would be almost identical.

The beer is starting to clear up a bit today. I'll try to keep posted on the color and see if it starts to look the same as the yeast settles out.

I have had split batches with different yeast end up different shades. Yeast do effect the final composition of the beer so its not too far fetched to think they can effect the elements that produce the color of the beer.

Back