What hop should i use for a Mild...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comj49

Reaction score
I have an ounce of each hallertauer mittelfrueh, cascade, centennial, anthum, galena, and glacier. Anyone use any of these hops in a Mild? Suggestions?

I'd say glacier if you want to stay as close to style as possible with the hops you have on hand.

Otherwise, the cascade or centennial would make an interesting light weight American Brown.

Personally, I'd go with the Glacier. I've never used it, but the substitution charts say US Fuggle, Willamette and Styrian Goldings (both Fuggles cultivars), and Fuggles are appropriate for the style. Hallertau would be my second choice.

Really, any low cohumulone variety would work well, because there should be no noticeable hops flavor or aroma in Mild. Unfortunately, that rules out most of the American varieties; it's been my experience that American varieties still taste like citrus no matter how long you boil them. And in such a delicate beer as Mild, that flavor is objectionable.

Cheers,

Bob

Back