right size and price chest freezer for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcolson

Reaction score
ok i need a new chest freezer... im trying to stash 2 cornys and 2 5 gallon better bottles... what size should i go with and also where can i find a cheap one other than craigslist because there are none on there! thank you!

For 2 corny's, all you would need is a 5.0 cubic foot. I don't know if 2 5 gallon better bottles would fit though. I think a 7.2 would be perfect for you.

I would check Sams club. I got my GE 5.0 for $151. The 7.2 was $180. Not bad.

I can fit 2 cornies and 2 6-gallon better bottles in my 8.9cf with a collar. I think the 5-gallon better bottles are slightly narrower, so you probably won't need a collar.

No use starting a new thread for my question.... I found an older chest freezer on CL but I am unsure if it is what they say it is. I would just go look at it but it is a bit of a drive.

They say it is a 15.1 cubic foot Kenmore. And that the exterior dimensions are 21” deep, 36” tall, and 43” long

Here is a picture of it:

Kenmore15-1.jpg

But on Sears website the 14.8 Kenmore's exterior dimensions are 29-1/2" deep, 35" tall and 48" long.

Now I understand these are exterior dimensions, and I am not comparing apples to oranges, but hang with me for a few seconds if you would. The two freezers EXTERIOR size is 18.9 cubic feet and 28.7 cubic feet for the old/new freezers respectively. There is no way they could pack 15.1 cubic interior space into 18.8 sized unit when modern insulation and such only allows them to pack 14.8 into 28.7 feet today.

Am I thinking right here? To me it seems like it is more of a 8.8 cu. ft. Chest Freezer at 23"x34"x41" and therefore not such a good deal at the $150 pre-negotiation price.

/tg

and if that is the one near memphis tn dont buy it its in awful condition and DEF needs a new compressor...

billtzk said:
Sounds closer to the 13cf model.

That one is eight inches deeper though... which could add a lot of interior space.

pcolson said:
that is the same picture i saw on craigslist in my area... memphis area?
pcolson said:
and if that is the one near memphis tn dont buy it its in awful condition and DEF needs a new compressor...

Yeah that's the one. The add said it only had a few light scratches and works perfectly. How do you know it needs a new compressor?

Eh, I just may hold out and get a new one. I was hoping to get something bigger than 10, but... dollars are dollars and I don't want a problem either.

Thanks.
/tg

Make cardboard cutouts of the footprint of your better bottles and kegs, bring them into the store and lay them out inside the freezer. You will want to measure the height for items that you are considering placing on the compressor hump.

tim... i went and looked at it... he had it plugged ijn for like 4 hours and wit was like 60 degrees in there turned all the way down ...

Back