I'm bumming. My first "less then perfect result" batch... Rosanna Banana!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capcrnch

Reaction score
I'm at about 100-150 batches now in total... As of this week, I've never had a bad batch. I consider myself somewhat lucky and cautious.

I transferred my Oberon clone into a corny today, and almost got knocked out by banana smell. Holy cow, it smelled like I was standing in Donkey Kong's ass.

I know why it happened.. 2nd bedroom was way too warm during the days.. I screwed myself by not taking better precautions and better preparations.

I kegged it. I'll drink it anyway (you never throw a batch away unless it makes you puke, right?)...

Here's the question.. I made this for my brothers wedding next weekend.
Think ill be safe to serve it or should I keep it in the kegerator for me and start making other plans?

I would let it cool down and see if the banana flavor calms down? I am assuming you used some kind of Bavarian yeast. Those are suppose to be fermented cold to reduce the banana flavor, if it calms down though, should be a good beer

The banana should mellow in about 6 weeks. You might not get rid of it, but at least that is what I have noticed.

it smelled like I was standing in Donkey Kong's ass.

:ban: That's an experience :D.

Call me crazy, but in my last hefe i wanted MORE banana flavors and i fermented it around 76F !

Send it down south to Florida!

(After this stupid tropical storm soon-to-become hurricane)

I would let it cool down and see if the banana flavor calms down? I am assuming you used some kind of Bavarian yeast. Those are suppose to be fermented cold to reduce the banana flavor, if it calms down though, should be a good beer

Yes, it was a Bavarian yeast.

The banana should mellow in about 6 weeks. You might not get rid of it, but at least that is what I have noticed.

Argh, I don't have 6 weeks, I have 2 :(

Some of the beers I have served I hated - "Yes Sam, I do not like raspberry". But other people loved it.
Could I just recommend changing the name, something like "mighty banana" Forwarned and all, and I think some of the ladies may like it.

Just got back from serving the "questionable brew"...

It was horrific. I wanted to pour the crap out as soon as I tapped the keg.
Horrible.

The women folk loved it.
LOVED IT.

My big joke is "you never fruit the beer!", and everyone gave me crap about it today.

Oh well, worked out for one sex, but not the other.
Luckily I provided 3 kegs ;)

That banana flavor will calm down a bit with age.

I guess hefe's really depend on the individual. I like balanced hefe's the most, but if I had to choose, I would actually like a more banana'ish hefe as opposed to "Clove City, USA" type hefeweizens. To each, his own I guess.

Congrats on the 100-150 number of batches though. That's a lot of beer that has piped through your system:mug:

Back