juice bottle - (for yeast starters)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what you mean by a juice bottle? Pretty much any half gallon to gallon jug is good for making starters. You don't even need an airlock, just keep the cap loosely twisted on.

That's the same question, just asked a different way. And it's a double post. We don't need to post the same question in multiple forums, a lot of us use the "New Posts" button so we'll see it anyways.

Look for one of these at your local Safeway or natural food store: http://www.knudsenjuices.com/products/category.aspx?groupID=9&categoryID=55
The bottle on the right is a gallon jug of organic, unfiltered apple juice. It takes a universal stopper. It's not cheap (like $10-$12), but get some Red Star Montrachet yeast and some corn sugar, and you've got a gallon of Edwort's apfelwein (with free fermentation vessel!)... of course, it will have lots of pectin haze from being unfiltered, but still delicious. It reminded me of a white wine.

Can you be more specific as to what you're looking for? Many of us use Erlenmeyer flasks, mason jars, or wine jugs (Carlo Rossi).

I attempted my first starter last week in a Mason jar. The palmer web site said to cover it loosely with plastic wrap and a rubber band. I wondered why this would be better than loosely capping it. How do you cover your mason jars?

if I double posted it was a mistake. I don't recall making the post twice. In palmer's book he shows a juice bottle that fits an airlock. I have seen them on a couple bottle selling websites but I don't want to pay 12 dollars shipping for a few bottles. Just wondering if maybe anyone knew where I could get one. I guess I will just buy some juice.

Back