Dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So there might not be any difference at all or there might but when I dry hop I usually rack on top of my hops when transferring to my secondary. Should I just throw them on top after transferring. Or is there any difference at all?

Ya I'm going to add them 7 days before bottling just wondering there is a difference between putting them right on top of my beer of racking onto them in the secondary

I chuck them in. I use a Muslim bag, but you can read the pro and cons of that and decide for yourself. I usually dry hop for several weeks. I never use a secondary and let sit in primary for a month, then cold crash, then keg or bottle. I never rush a beer.

Sometimes when I dry hop in the keg using pellets, it makes the beer a bit more cloudy. I imagine if you rack the beer over the dry hops, it might reduce the cloudiness since it would be stirring up the pellets less. But other than that, I don't think there is a big difference.

Got ya I was going to primary for 2 weeks then secondary for one and throw the in at secondary. The recipe calls for dry hopping 7 days before bottling

You can do either. It won't matter either way.

I dry hop in the primary with pellets after fermentation is over. I use a paint strainer bag and I typically go 5-7 days. Then I pull out the bag with sanitized tongs and squeeze out the hoppy goodness with said tongs. At that point I let it settle out for a day and then package.

I just chuck mine in the primary loose after a week of fermentation. Have only used pellets so far. I let them sit 7 days or so then rack to a secondary to cold crash. Usually end up with fairly clear beer.

I use a paint strainer bag and suspend the bag about 2/3 of the way down in the bucket via a piece of dental floss tied to the bucket handle.
Works for me.

any problem with using a hydrometer to hold the bag full of hops below the beer level?

Back