Specialty IPA: Black IPA Black Shadow - Cascadian Dark Ale aka Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI.
Im 10 days into this brew , it tastes fantastic but has a thick oily consistency (my wife says it looks like snot!)
Is this normal or have I messed up

steve , nottingham, england

HI.
Im 10 days into this brew , it tastes fantastic but has a thick oily consistency (my wife says it looks like snot!)
Is this normal or have I messed up

steve , nottingham, england

Drinking this currently. Second time I've brewed it, and really like it. Added extra ounce of Citra at 10min. Thick/oily is certainly not how I Would describe it. Need details to your process. What yeast, temp, etc...

image.jpg

Question
Please pardon my blatant ignorance, I'm a beginner at this. Can you please clarify what First WH means, as far as the first hop addition?
So far I'm used to seeing minute-based hopping schedules.
Thanks

Question
Please pardon my blatant ignorance, I'm a beginner at this. Can you please clarify what First WH means, as far as the first hop addition?
So far I'm used to seeing minute-based hopping schedules.
Thanks

'First wort hopping'. Usually abbreviated as FWH in recipes. Depending on your style of brewing will determine when to add the hops. I use BIAB technique so I just add them to my kettle as the bag is lifted out to drain. If you sparge, then add them to the first runnings. If you brew extract then just add them to your steep. FWH is said to give a better overall taste when compared with typical 60min bittering additions.

Thank you very much for the info. I started with extract, have done a few BIAB batches, and I'm now trying to "graduate" to do all grain. This recipe appealed to me because our oldest son's favorite brew is the IPA, while my wife and I prefer stouts and porters. Could be that a black IPA will satisfy us all.
I just might try to brew this next.
Thank you again for the help, and thanks as well to the recipe provider.

Brewing this again tomorrow. Adapted the recipe slightly as ive found it finished a bit high the last 2 times i brewed it so hopefully a lower mash temp and a bit less crystal will combat that. Looking forward to it being in my christmas line up as i havent brewed it in a while

Latest posts

Back