Screening and Aroma Hops (Lame pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbrew_jr

Reaction score
I just brewed my sierra celebration clone. I added about 1.5 oz of hops at flameout.

As I have done with my past two batches i screened my wort before putting it into the primary. I thought to myself, the aroma hops have only been in for 5 minutes or less, am I screening out the hop goodness I just added 5 minutes ago?

This led me to another screening question. My past two batches have been screened with a very small screen that came with my funnel. This batch I used a new screen purchased from midwest brewers that allowed alot more tiny fines into the primary. Screening with the funnel screen takes FOREVER because it pics up a very large portion of the solids. The new stainless screen worked in 3 pours like a charm.

Please give me some insight on screening out aroma hops, AND what is an appropriate amount of screening to use. I have attached some pictures of the two strainer screens.

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

I use a hop spider. Saw it on this site somewhere. Might cost $10 to make. No trub at all!

image-3580965056.jpg

a lot of people don't bother to strain hops going into the fermenter

Right.

And when I use leaf hops now, they clog up my system without a way to keep them out. So I use either a hops spider as above, or a bazooka tube on my diptube. But that is after the wort is fully chilled, of course. so your "5 minute hops" are actually in there while the wort is cooling.

Some people actually do a "hop stand" or use "whirlpool hops", and add them at flame out and keep the wort hot for 20 minutes before chilling, or do a whirlpool with the hops in the hot wort. That maximizes the addition.

Back