Carboy question0- can I get this thing clean enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formula2fast

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon glass carboy that I have had since I was 5 years old (I am 30 now). It was given to me as a piggy bank and I have had change in it for the last 25 years. I want to convert this to another carboy for brewing. Will a PBW wash and soak in star-san be enough to properly clean the years of dirty metallic currency sitting in this thing, or should I just pony up and buy another one?

That is kind of what I figured, but for some reason, I was still worried...Sometimes you just want to hear someone say the same thing you were thinking to validate your thoughts. Thanks!

Will a PBW wash and soak in star-san be enough to properly clean the years of dirty metallic currency sitting in this thing

I've gotten some nasty, nasty, nasty bottles from complete strangers. Given Oxiclean, Star San, and time, I can't differentiate them from the commercial bottles I carefully rinsed after drinking.

In other words, go for it!

Back