I'm done with AG.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willsellout said:
Yeah I do...I was wondering if you'd show up:D. I still have to get my CFC and a hopstopper to use the Keg you got me. I have too much stuff that I want and not enough money:D

Dan
ya ya ya what ever hows that baby doin??? thats the important $#!^ beer is secondry, ya I said it and you can QUOTE me we can get you through this crap I just brewed an amarican brown yesterday and hit every target on the nose and let me tell ya brother if I can do it you sure as hell can!!!!:rockin:
JJ

jaybird said:
ya ya ya what ever hows that baby doin??? thats the important $#!^ beer is secondry, ya I said it and you can QUOTE me we can get you through this crap I just brewed an amarican brown yesterday and hit every target on the nose and let me tell ya brother if I can do it you sure as hell can!!!!:rockin:
JJ
The baby is good although after the trip she got a cold:( .
I am going to to try again with a simple recipe and hopefully things come out good. I'm on the verge of buying a Barley Crusher, but I want at least one outstanding beer to justify it. Is that so wrong?

Da

Willsellout said:
I'm on the verge of buying a Barley Crusher, but I want at least one outstanding beer to justify it. Is that so wrong?

Da
best investment in brewing (except maybe that keggle.. LOL) you will make:D ... My effs have jumped to 85% and have stayed there or better. there might be a couple of things we can do to help. give me the run down on you recipes IE qts per # and such and mash temps as well. But you do have to realize this stuff your brewing on is fairly new to you isent it? therefor there will be a learning curve.
JJ

jaybird said:
best investment in brewing (except maybe that keggle.. LOL) you will make:D ... My effs have jumped to 85% and have stayed there or better. there might be a couple of things we can do to help. give me the run down on you recipes IE qts per # and such and mash temps as well. But you do have to realize this stuff your brewing on is fairly new to you isent it? therefor there will be a learning curve.
JJ
Well it's hard to tell as all my recipes have been of someone else's making. Quarts per pound are normally about 1.5 and mash temps normally are sitting right in the middle at about 155. All the brews I've done are probably more than I needed and more than I wanted. I have yet to make a simple single infusion brew. This is why I'm going with Ed's Haus PA for my next brew. If I can't get it done with that, then I know I'm doing to something wrong.

Dan

Wanted to share my experiences with designing and using an AG system.

Brew partner has been doing PM for several years. I encouraged him to expand into AG in partnership with me.

We researched designs, opitons, etc. He'd seen a 3 tier rack system in use before, so we decided to go with that.

We knew there were two critical factors in efficiency: the crush and the sparge. After some thought, we went the Barley Crusher (left at factory setting) and a 10 gallon Igloo cooler with a stainless false bottom from Northern Brewer. We thought the stainless brad or manifolds wouldn't provide an even distribution of sparge water through the grain bed. Have only ever done fly sparging, which takes us just over 20 minutes even with a big beer like the Big Brew Griffin Spit IPA, which was our first.

We've done four batches, and are running at least 75-80%.

Hope this doesn't appear as bragging, just wanting to share how a couple of newbie AG brewers approached things. Also, I logged at least 15-20 hours (or more) of research on systems, AG brewing, etc. before our first batch. :eek:

drayman86 said:
Wanted to share my experiences with designing and using an AG system.
We researched designs, opitons, etc. He'd seen a 3 tier rack system in use before, so we decided to go with that.
We've done four batches, and are running at least 75-80%.
Hope this doesn't appear as bragging, just wanting to share how a couple of newbie AG brewers approached things. Also, I logged at least 15-20 hours (or more) of research on systems, AG brewing, etc. before our first batch. :eek:

Read, read, and read then read some more.

It's the best thing a new brewer can do before getting kit or brewing.

This might make you feel a little better about your situation.

I have to second the motion that the Barley Crusher is a great investment. Factory setting gives me excellent efficiency.

I'm thrilled that you've decided to give it another whirl. BTW, I haven't followed every post in this thread, but have you tried Five Star's PH Stabilizer? How about amylase enzyme additive? How about a stepped mash? I get my best efficiencies with the following schedule:

30 mins @ 133f
60 mins @ 148-155f
10-20 mins (or when iodine test reads negative) @ 158f.
Sparge for 10 mins.

I don't always do that, because of time, but it really helps efficiency having that rest at 130f, I think. Of course, I usually do direct-fired mashes in a kettle, so raising the temp is as easy as turning on the burner...not so easy to do when you're talking about water infusions in a cooler. Have you thought about trying out direct-fired step mashes?

Sorry if I'm behind the times on this thread, BTW.

orfy said:
Read, read, and read then read some more.

It's the best thing a new brewer can do before getting kit or brewing.

Or you could just fall backwards into a mountain of badass brewing equipment. ;)

If you don't want to spend 150$ on a mill yet get a 20$ Corona off ebay and run it with a drill. I do that and consistently get 80% or better out of it. If you're worried about it going too fine throw in some rice hulls as insurance. Don't let worrying about the numbers mess with your enjoyment of this. I would be happy with 1.040 because it'd mean I get to drink more of my brew without getting hammered. :)

You don't need a fancy high end mill to make beer. Sure, girls like a guy driving a Maserati, but lots of girls like guys in Fords too!! :)

Just wanted to say that I had the worst brew day ever two batches ago, what went into the fermenter looked like gray/gold pablum, my temps were all bad through the whole fermentation, and STILL, my botched AG maibock came out of the the fermenter straw gold, crystal clear, and awesome.

Put the whole 5 gallon keg up in my friends kegerator next to two Half Moon Bay Brewery beers at a bbq this Saturday, and believe it or not, my maibock was tapped in two hours, with the HMBB kegs still half full when I left. I was actually TRYING to push people to the other beers just so I'd have some of this cursed, never going to AG again, what a pain in my butt maibock to take home.

AG can be a pain, but I do believe it's the key to better brews.

Nehoc said:
Just wanted to say that I had the worst brew day ever two batches ago, what went into the fermenter looked like gray/gold pablum, my temps were all bad through the whole fermentation, and STILL, my botched AG maibock came out of the the fermenter straw gold, crystal clear, and awesome.

Put the whole 5 gallon keg up in my friends kegerator next to two Half Moon Bay Brewery beers at a bbq this Saturday, and believe it or not, my maibock was tapped in two hours, with the HMBB kegs still half full when I left. I was actually TRYING to push people to the other beers just so I'd have some of this cursed, never going to AG again, what a pain in my butt maibock to take home.

AG can be a pain, but I do believe it's the key to better brews.
I am going to take the suggestions here to heart. I'm going to try a few very simple brews and work my way up. I'm also going to prepare better and do some more reading. I absolutely loved the process of AG, but this last brew day was just horrible. Although the Hefe is looking like it's in good shape. Just removed the blowoff tube today and hopefully next week I can bottle.

Dan

Willsellout said:
I am going to take the suggestions here to heart. I'm going to try a few very simple brews and work my way up. I'm also going to prepare better and do some more reading. I absolutely loved the process of AG, but this last brew day was just horrible. Although the Hefe is looking like it's in good shape. Just removed the blowoff tube today and hopefully next week I can bottle.

Dan
SUCKER!!!! :D its kind of like golf in a way. All it takes is 1 good hit and your gonna come back. the truth of the matter is we all want you to succeed in this crazy hobby (remember this $hit is fun) we call brewing. I have a couple of killer single infusion recipes you can enjoy. we need to schedual a west coast brew day at my pad or hell a weekend for that matter. I am sure we can get in some serious trouble:rockin: :rockin:
JJ

jaybird said:
SUCKER!!!! :D its kind of like golf in a way. All it takes is 1 good hit and your gonna come back. the truth of the matter is we all want you to succeed in this crazy hobby (remember this $hit is fun) we call brewing. I have a couple of killer single infusion recipes you can enjoy. we need to schedual a west coast brew day at my pad or hell a weekend for that matter. I am sure we can get in some serious trouble:rockin: :rockin:
JJ
Me and the wife want to make it back down there anyway. We want to check out Shasta, maybe do some camping.

Dan

Willsellout said:
The whole reason I was frustrated was because for my last 3 AG's, not much has been consistent. My temps, my efficiency, my volume's. I'm desperately looking for consistency...it just eludes me. I honestly don't care what my efficiency is as long as I can plan for it, I'm good.

Dan
I'm a contractor so the only thing I plan for is for everything to go wrong. I've found that when working with things in your hands in the real world and not on paper just plan on things getting screwed up. Then when it happens you just shrug and drink another beer and go to your back up plan that your already figured out because you knew it would *uck up. Also someone mentioned a brew buddy, I would highly recommed that. My wife is into brewing with me because she is a phenomenal cook and enjoys the process of brewing. I read about peoples first brew experiences and PM experiences and feel that I have been lucky to have her helping me. I did my second PM with single infusion mash start to finish including cleanup in just over 3 hours woot. I also second (or third) the Papazian attitude. I am a pycho perfectionist, but brewing became much simpler and fun when I simple let go and realized that it was similar to the work I do. Nothing is perfect, nothing ever works the same way everytime, and there is always a risk that it will all go bad.

Willsellout said:
Me and the wife want to make it back down there anyway. We want to check out Shasta, maybe do some camping.

Dan
I just got off Shasta I was there for 4 days fathers day weekend camping with my SWMBO and kids and my dad and others it was killer, if you do alot of REAL camping let me know we have a KILLER time and always ready to schedual another trip. I took a 6 gal keg of my Munich Amber and I am pleased to say not a drop came home and only three of us drinking it:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: . as for a brewing day lets do it any time your ready.
JJ

I ordered grain from AHS for the first time and after getting about 75% efficiency on every AG batch I have ever done, I got around 60% on the this one. I did notice the grain looked much less crushed than I normally get at my LBHS, but hoped it wouldn't be that big of a difference. It was. It may be that they are inconsistent based on different grains or different people doing the crush since some say they have no problems with AHS (my grain was Golden Promise and a lot of the grains looked small, so they didn't get crushed much if at all). I probably won't use them again but it is a sample size of one, so take it FWIW.

Agree with the rest - stick with AG. Find a beer you like with a simple grain bill and make it a few times in a row until you are consistent, then branch out.

Sir Sudster said:
Dan, it takes a special kind of person to stay AG. The love of the hobby makes us want to achieve the best it can be. Going all-grain does mean
more control and more to control. It doesn't mean your beers are going to be any better. If your good ,consistent and comfortable with PM then that's your gig. Stay with what makes you feel good about what your doing.

AG is always challenging and in my opinion, that's the fun and motivation.
I'm the kind of guy that likes the challeges AG provides. I have had a few bad brew days myself but it made me more determined to overcome the issue/issues of the day and press on. Control can really be achieved once you truely understand your setups capabilities and short comings. Having the basics down you will eventually achieve your goals but you have to learn what you can and can not do with your setup. This takes time, patience and money.

Hard to argue with his point, and I totally agree.

There are two major decisions I have made in my life that I am very, very happy about. The first was refusing to keep score in golf ever again. It is so much more relaxing to walk a beautiful golf course hitting that pretty little ball around the links without ruining it with the stress of knowing how poorly I'm doing.

With golf, I just don't worry about a bad score, but I do keep score.:mug:

boo boo said:
Hard to argue with his point, and I totally agree.

There are two major decisions I have made in my life that I am very, very happy about. The first was refusing to keep score in golf ever again. It is so much more relaxing to walk a beautiful golf course hitting that pretty little ball around the links without ruining it with the stress of knowing how poorly I'm doing.

With golf, I just don't worry about a bad score, but I do keep score.:mug:
and the second???
JJ

Well I'm brewing tomorrow. Ed's APA with some Amarillo thrown in for a more intense flavor and aroma combo. I converted my 10 gal cooler, measured out the gallons on my brew pot so I know exactly how much is in there. I also know where I went wrong on previous bad batches. I was getting a grainy taste in my past AG recipes. Turns out I think I was sparging incorrectly and with too hot of wate and with too much. So tomorrow it's very simple.
152 for 60
Batch sparge with 168 degree water.

I am going to keep track of the runnings gravity and make sure I test conversion as well. With any luck, I have worked out the kinks and can start improving. I am in desperate need as I'm running out of good homebrew quickly.

Dan

Ryanh1801 said:
Best of luck. Im willing to bet its gonna go great.
I have high hopes. I finally got all my sh*t straight and measured out so now all I have to bet on is the crush from AHB????

Dan

I agree, what happened? How did the batch go? you can't leave us hanging now man! Are you still an AG brewer or are you quitting? The suspense is killing us!

Eastside

Willsellout said:
I have high hopes. I finally got all my sh*t straight and measured out so now all I have to bet on is the crush from AHB????

Dan

Fwiw, I did my 4th AG recipe with grain from AHS and hit my target numbers.

I am betting you got it all sorted!

Dude, I don't see the disaster...

Keep going and stop with the 3-step infusion. I am not convinced it makes a difference and definitely complicates things.

I can barely drink extract brews now that I have brewed AG. They are too sweet, and definitly taste different to me.

Consider this encouragement and 'spurring-on' to try again with AG. It really is better. Oh, and Chimone doesn't need your stuff... I bid $1 more than he does...

knipknup said:
Dude, I don't see the disaster...

Keep going and stop with the 3-step infusion. I am not convinced it makes a difference and definitely complicates things.

I can barely drink extract brews now that I have brewed AG. They are too sweet, and definitly taste different to me.

Consider this encouragement and 'spurring-on' to try again with AG. It really is better. Oh, and Chimone doesn't need your stuff... I bid $1 more than he does...
I brewed again this past Saturday. It went well although I missed the 5 gallon mark by about .25 gallons,

Dan

Willsellout said:
I brewed again this past Saturday. It went well although I missed the 5 gallon mark by about .25 gallons,

Dan
Well, I'd say that's more than enough reason to call it quits then. :D

Lil' Sparky said:
Well, I'd say that's more than enough reason to call it quits then. :D
YA send me all your AG stuff and I will hang on to it for ya... LMFAO .25 good for you brother how was the gravity targets???? Im just dying to know.
JJ

jaybird said:
YA send me all your AG stuff and I will hang on to it for ya... LMFAO .25 good for you brother how was the gravity targets???? Im just dying to know.
JJ

I hit around 75% I think. Brewsmith estimated my OG to be 1.052 and it turned out to be 1.057. I still didn't think the crush was quite fine enough, but 70-75% is fine as long as I can keep it consistent. I kept super good notes this time just in case. As of now the beer if fermenting quite vigorously and is the only AG brew I've made that actually smells good in the fermenter. Can't wait to sneak a taste this weekend!

Dan

Willsellout said:
I hit around 75% I think. Brewsmith estimated my OG to be 1.052 and it turned out to be 1.057. I still didn't think the crush was quite fine enough, but 70-75% is fine as long as I can keep it consistent. I kept super good notes this time just in case. As of now the beer if fermenting quite vigorously and is the only AG brew I've made that actually smells good in the fermenter. Can't wait to sneak a taste this weekend!

Dan
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! 75% is really good and all you need to do is brew the same thing again and see what your AVG % is and your good to go..remember KEEP IT SIMPLE (STUPID):D THATS MEEEE.. HAY :off: I have a 1/2" stainless ball valve here you can have for what ever shipping is if you want and if it will help.. Just let me know
JJ

Willsellout said:
I hit around 75% I think. Brewsmith estimated my OG to be 1.052 and it turned out to be 1.057. I still didn't think the crush was quite fine enough, but 70-75% is fine as long as I can keep it consistent. I kept super good notes this time just in case. As of now the beer if fermenting quite vigorously and is the only AG brew I've made that actually smells good in the fermenter. Can't wait to sneak a taste this weekend!Dan

Congrats! Nottingham will ferment out quite quickly and the bubbler will slow down in a day or two. I switch from the 3 piece airlock to the "S" shaped one after a couple of days. Let it sit for a week to 10 days, crash cool for another couple days, then keg & carb. If you can leave it, it will get even better after a month of aging, but like my Apfelwein, if you like it, brew it again and get some backup kegs in stock.

The Amarillo hops addition should give it a different taste. Please list your hop additions (time, amount, & AA%) so we can get an IBU reading on it.

It will be finished at around 1.011, so it looks like you will have a nice 6.1% abv beer soon.

Heh... Kegging up my batch of your Haus PA as we speak Ed.. Can't wait to try it next week

EdWort said:
Congrats! Nottingham will ferment out quite quickly and the bubbler will slow down in a day or two. I switch from the 3 piece airlock to the "S" shaped one after a couple of days. Let it sit for a week to 10 days, crash cool for another couple days, then keg & carb. If you can leave it, it will get even better after a month of aging, but like my Apfelwein, if you like it, brew it again and get some backup kegs in stock.

The Amarillo hops addition should give it a different taste. Please list your hop additions (time, amount, & AA%) so we can get an IBU reading on it.

It will be finished at around 1.011, so it looks like you will have a nice 6.1% abv beer soon.

Hop additions were the same schedule you followed:
60- 1oz cascade 4.4%
30- .5 oz cascade 4.4%
15- .50 oz Amarillo 9.9%
5- .50 oz amarillo 9.9%

It was fermenting that night and by the following morning it was going crazy. Tuesday it slowed down more and today it's almost done I think.

Unfortunately I'm not kegging yet so these will all be bottle conditioned. I figure I'll transfer this weekend, let it clear for another week or so, then bottle and let sit for a week, then cold condition for about 3 weeks. Although with the way it smells right now, I don't think I'll be able to wait that long to pop one open:D

Dan

Back